Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
I have a home network that includes a wired XP desktop with an old D-Link DI-528 wireless router. The are 2 Vista laptops that each share a wireless connection. Internet access and file sharing work fine and each computer can see everyone else on the network. I just attached an HP C4680 printer plugged directly in to the wired desktop. When I go to network and sharing center in Vista to add the printer, the laptops see the printer immediately. However when prompted to add the printer a box pops up stating the "server for the HP C4680 printer series does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click ok." After I click ok, I get a box stating "The file INF on (unknown) is needed." It then asks me to type the correct path to find this file. When clicking the final ok, I get a message "Printer Driver Setup Error. Operation could not be completed. Error 0x800f0214". When the printer was hooked up to the desktop, I used the CD and did a full install. There is no problem printing from the desktop. Let me know what else you may need for info. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Dave

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dave:

It sounds like you need the printer drivers for Windows Vista. I had a similar problem with a Lexmark printer. When I installed the drivers for Windows Vista on the Vista computer, everything worked fine.

You will probably need to go to the manufacturer's web site to download the drivers.

Good luck.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
This is a procedure that may work for installing network printers when the normal install doesn't work properly.

1. Select: Control Panel, Printers, Add Printer
  2. Choose Add Local Printer.
  3. Uncheck the box marked :Automatically detect my PnP printer.
  4. Click Next
  5. Select Create a New Port and leave the default in the drop down selection as Local Port.
  6. Click Next
  7. Windows displays a small dialogue box asking a port name.
  8. Key in: \\<computer_name>\<printer_name> See note below
  9. Click OK
  10. Windows will show a list of printer vendors and models. The list looks just like the Windows Add Hardware Dialog. Select your printer manufacturer and printer model from the list. If your specific printer isn't shown, you can click on Have Disk and browse to the folder where you have the unpacked drivers for your printer.

Note:
<computer_name> - Computer name from Control Panel, System status display.
<printer_name> - The actual name of the network printer viewed by browsing to the shared printer on the network.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Glad to hear it. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.©
:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have basically the same problem except that my HP desktop and 2 HP laptops are all running Vista. One of the laptops had no problems connecting to the printer (HP C4150). It was quite easy. The other is giving me messages similar to the above description. When I take the above suggestion to download the Vista printer drivers to the laptop that is having a problem, where should I file it? Just in Downloads?

·
Registered
98 Posts
You need to download the drivers somewhere easy where you can find them since you will need to then install them after they have downloaded.

Seems like when I downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer's website I did save them in my downloads folder and run and install them from there. As long as you can remember where they are and what their names are, in case you need to re-install them for some reason, that is all that really matters.

When installing the printer was when I was prompted for the location of the drivers.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.