Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been having trouble with a virus lately and after much research I have discovered that in order to remove it I need to turn System Restore off (I already posted with questions about the virus in the appropriate section of these forums).

My problem is that when I go to the System Restore Tab in My Computer->Properties all the options are grayed out and it says C:\ is being monitored on the bottom. I've tried doing it from normal mode in my only user, and I have also tried in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking (in Administrator and my user) to no avail. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I'm using Windows XP SP3 (Home Edition). Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will that really get the job done though? I tried doing that and then restarted and when I went to the tab in Properties it still shows it unchecked. Well either way I am going to try scanning my computer with it off now.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
it wont fix your grayed out problem but will let you disable it while you work on your machine

Hi. I've been having trouble with a virus lately and after much research I have discovered that in order to remove it I need to turn System Restore off (I already posted with questions about the virus in the appropriate section of these forums).

My problem is that when I go to the System Restore Tab in My Computer->Properties all the options are grayed out and it says C:\ is being monitored on the bottom. I've tried doing it from normal mode in my only user, and I have also tried in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking (in Administrator and my user) to no avail. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok well now with System Restore off in the way you told me to turn it off...Norton isn't even detecting the trojan anymore. And nobody on the malware removal forum has posted in my thread all day. *sigh*

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
If you create a new point and then use Disk Cleanup to remove all the previous points, then any that were infected will be gone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did a full scan after updating and it still says 'Remove Failed' in Norton. So either the method you told me doesn't actually turn system restore off, or the only solution that the internet posts for removing the trojan is wrong. Either way I'm in a heap of trouble and can't get it off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't even access my system restore options AT ALL. So that's out of the question, though this specific malware actually copies itself into the restore points which is why I need to turn system restore off in order to be able to remove it (since Windows doesn't allow me to tamper with files linked to the restore stuff when it is on).

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts
I would submit this issue to the Malware Removal team since you do seem to have a trojan, as you stated. Be patient, they are very busy. So, stick to your original thread. You may even bump it to the top if you like.

http://forums.techguy.org/malware-r...s/853810-trojan-metajuan-removal-problem.html

They might ask you to post a HijackThis log too, so,

Please click here to download and install the HijackThis installer.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything

If your System Restore functions are greyed out,

Click on Start, Run and type services.msc.

Make sure the System Restore Service is Automatic.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
If your System Restore functions are greyed out,

Click on Start, Run and type services.msc.

Make sure the System Restore Service is Automatic.
The op is wanting system restore off as to work on a malware issue ,,,op options are grayed out for system restore,
This is why I had op disable the system restore service.
returning it to automatic will in effect re enable system restore

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts
The OP had a greyed out System Restore in the first place. So, by setting the service to Automatic, he could have accessed System Restore the normal way.

But, I know what you meant to do and it was ok too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was actually set to Automatic when I tried to turn it off originally so that wasn't the issue. And disabling it didn't do anything to it either (as far as being able to turn it off from the System Properties goes). Any ideas why this might be?

And don't worry, I've got my actual trojan thread bumped and am waiting for help there...though I would like to be able to mess with my System Restore settings later anyway because I don't like the options it has right now. Thanks again by the way for all of the input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And yes, they were grayed out when it was on and they are grayed out with them off in the method you told me to use. Though now that I think about it it may have something to do with the trojan because I don't remember them being like this in the past. I'll keep you guys updated once the problem is fixed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.