Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I try to access windows update, I receive an Iexplorer illegal operation error. Details: invalid page fault in module mshtml.dll at 0167.637bb005. I have win98 and have been doing updates for years without any problems until recently. The only thing I have done recently is update my DSL software. I ran spybot - no problems there. I tried the internet repair tool- no problems there. I disabled the firewall as a test but was still unable to do an update. I also ran a registry check and it came back 'successful'.

Any ideas as to what else I could do or check? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GolferBob! I looked at the link, but it did not apply to my problem. I have searched MS's KB, as well as this forum, but to no avail. This is so weird because I can surf the net fine, but when I try to do an update, IE crashes. It also crashed on me yesterday when I clicked on a link to a KB article, but never crashes on anyone else's site!

I'm starting to wonder if I'm on Microsoft's hit list...lol!?! But I figured if anyone could figure this out, you guys and gals could! It makes me nervous that I don't have the latest updates!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still get the same error when trying to do a windows update plus, this morning, IE crashed when I tried to get into MS's newsgroups. I also received an illegal operation error in kernel32.dll.

Can anyone help - I'm at my wit's end!!!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
have you tried a system file check ? you need your win98 cd. start- programs - system tools - system information -tools - system file checker . when it wants the cd ,type in D:\WIN98

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I had not done a file checker. From everything I was reading on the net, it appeared to be a registry problem, even though my registry check ran ok. So, I started the file checker and it displayed PCDLIB32.DLL as possibly being corrupt. One of the 3 options given is 'update verification information'. It says 'select this option if you know the file has been updated'.

How do I know if the file has been updated during a prior win98 or IE update? I looked at system information for the module history but didn't see this particular file listed. Can I therefore assume that no updates have been made to this file and restore it?

Thanks for helping me with this!

·
Registered
457 Posts
The PCDLIB32.DLL is not a system file but a Kodak imaging file. As for IE constantly crashing... hmm ... don't have a solution off hand. Have you cleared ALL temporary internet files (including history, cookies etc)?

Try the Windows Update Catalog (aka: corporate download site).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.