Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a WD external hard drive successfully connected for over a year. The main purpose is to backup phots and music. I realized about 2 months ago that the backups were not happening and that although the drive (L:) appeared on My Computer, I could not explore it. It was originally connected by the firewire port so I tried switching it to the USB. I can power it down and power it back up and then read its contents for a short time, but it doesn't stay available.

At the same time, i have had performance issues. I return to my computer finding it has rebooted itself. This seemed to start about the same time the WD disappeared. I have to wonder if the two are related. I've run the Norton diagnostics I have available and defragged. The overall performance has improved, but I'd like to get the WD working correctly. Computer is HP Media Center PC, running XP.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
The problems are almost certainly related.
Look in Control Panel/Admin Tools/ Event Viewer/System and Application for any red entries that may give you a clue.
You need to narrow this down to what's causing the WD to be unavailable.
You could also connect this drive to another computer to see if it works properly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.