Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to remember, to the best of my ability, the sequence of events...

Suffice it to say that I downloaded and tried to install something I shouldn't have. I Immediately tried to get out of the errors from AVG (free version) and stop the install.

Okay. All seems good, then IE keeps opening to bogus ad sites. I realize I've got something. AVG and AdAware both fail in removing this Win32Trojan.tdss (I think AVG gave me this description). AVG tells me to reboot to remove it properly. Reboot throws me into "can't verify this installation of Windows".

Boot in safe mode work, then I get the same error on reboot...even in safe mode.

I don't have the original Windows CD (separated from husband and software at the same time; cannot find any software now), but it's a Dell and it came with Windows XP Home (product key on box), but I installed XP Pro instead. Don't know what product key was used or how to get it.

Currently:

--Purchased XP SP2 on eBay for Dell OEM.
--Try to run repair Windows
--Stuck in "Setup is being restarted" loop because it gets to about 14 minutes (registering components) and reboots for seemingly no reason and starts the install all over again
--Ran diagnostics (I think it comes from Dell and it's in the boot options) and I get TWO error codes, with the same description:

Error Code 0F00:0244
Error Code 0F00:1A44

Msg: Block 6442285
Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

I think this is bogus error messages because I never had problems before the virus.

Please advise best/cheapest fixes. Thanks so much in advance for your help. I am at your mercy.

I will try to check back as often as possible.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
When you use a Dell XP CD you do not need a Key, it installs what is called a Volume License Key for Dell products.

The uncorrectable data error is real and is the problem why XP will not install, there is corruption in the XP files system at block 6442285 or this block is bad and cannot be used, 2 ways to fix this:

1: Do a chkdsk as described in this article, then try a repair again
http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097

2: If 1 fails to correct the issue, then a clean install of XP will be required, of course you will lose all your data with a clean install procedure.

If you have data that you cannot afford to lose, then remove the hard drive from the PC and install it in an external USB hard drive enclosure and connect the enclosure to another PC to copy off the data you need. Put is back in the original PC and do a clean install of XP

Clean install procedure
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm

one difference in these instructions, since there is already an installation of XP on your hard drive, you will need to delete the C partition and create a new C partition, then install XP to the new C partition. Figure 06 in these instructions will not look like yours at this point, yours will show 1 or more partitions on this screen, this is where you will delete your current C partition (now it will say unallocated) and then create a new C partition on the now unallocated partition, then do a long format (takes some time be patient), then XP will begin its installation.

Bad blocks can be an indication of a failing hard drive, so if a long format does not allow installation of XP, replace the hard drive, or if you get XP installed and this bad block problem happens again replace the hard drive.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, mumbo. Thanks so much for your help. Unfortunately, I cannot get my PC to get out of the "Setup is being restarted..." loop.

I will try one more time.

Also, you say to do a completely new install.

How would that be accomplished if I cannot get out of the repair I'm already in?

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay. I couldn't really get on here and things got better and worse and better and worse. LOL

Finally, I was able to get Windows installed enough in a separate directory, and to copy my files onto a thumb.

Then, even tho the CD I bought wasn't supposedly going to be able to do it, I installed windows on a new partitioned C (which had previously and erratically been reporting errors--tho only since the virus), and am up and running again.

I am now running Kaspersky because I was able to get a full copy on someone's 3-pc corporate license. I will create another thread to ask about its capabilities. During one of the Windows installations, I ran K and it went crazy with a bunch of Windows files. Either it didn't recognize them 'cause they were out of date (sp2) or I had a hell of a lot of virus-infected files.

I've also turned on system restore, which I'd turned off before. It's actually kind of nice to start fresh. Thank God I was able to get some of the most important installation files.

Thank YOU guys for being lifesavers; specially Mumbo. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.