Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
LENOVO t43p AMOUNGST OTHERS
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this problem numerous times in the past where the installation proceeds then ends with the messages:

During the installation of the device.
The system cannot find the file specified
and it goes into a detection loop

HERE is the solution:

Windows 2000/XP has a bug that it cannot properly detect new hardware by *.inf files, if the RunOnce registry key is missing for the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

This key is often used by installers to execute post-reboot programs, but sometimes they accidentally delete this key.

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Make sure that you understand how to backup and restore the registry, in case a problem occurs. Please read the linked Microsoft Knowledge Base article prior to editing the registry.

Go to Start » Run and enter "regedit."

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

With CurrentVersion Highlighted, go to the Edit menu and select New » Key

Name the key RunOnce, leaving everything else about the key alone.

The RunOnce key should now exist underneath the CurrentVersion key.
Once the key exists, Windows 2000/XP stops redetecting the Hardware

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to chime in too and say "THANKS !". I am with http://hamachi.cc and the "Not found" problem is an infrequent but major headache. At some point we spent two weeks of daily back-n-forth email with someone trying to get to the bottom of it. Looked at setupapi.log at its most verbose level, tries all things imaginable. All failed.

This was few months ago and since then we were basically telling people that they probably had run some tool that corrupted their registry and we couldn't say in which exact way.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is one of the best tips I've seen. Solved a multi day problem with a device driver for a special instrument PCI card that could not be reinstalled. The first time it installed correctly. When I removed all the supporting software (because of another problem) it erased the RunOnce key. Imagine my surprise when I could not get the driver to detect when I wanted to [email protected]@[email protected]#[email protected][email protected]!!! What a pain!!!

A+ for the tip and fix!

Device DT300 works great now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another satisfied customer! I have had this problem repeatedly on several machines over the last year or two. Never could figure out why! I implemented this tip, and the problem is solved.

Oh yes... Guess what - I have Startman installed on all my machines!!!

Thanks again for the tip!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This solution worked exactly as described. Is there any possibility of submitting this to Micro$oft to see if they could work up a KB article on this? - If I hadn't Google'd this, I would still be searching.

Thanks so much for posting this solution!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was having problems trying to add a USB driver for a Thales ProMark 3 GPS receiver. Looked through the vendor's documentation, FAQs, service bulletins, Google, tried two different computers, reinstallations, etc. all to no effect. Found this tip, tried it, and worked perfectly. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,852 Posts
I put this at the top of my list, great thanks I know it will save a lot of installations. Best find in 28 plus years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow Dave!

Thanks so much for posting this tidbit. If it weren't for this forum post I don't think I'd ever figured this out on my own.

In my case I just bought a Brother PT-1650 label maker which has the option to download templates via USB from Brother's editing software. This feature one of the key reasons I went with this product.

After seeing the dreaded and inexplicable - The system cannot find the file specified - error message numerous times, looking through the .inf file to see if any files missing on the installation CD, downloading the driver from the Brother website, etc. I about at the end of my rope. It occurred to me to do a web search and I quickly found your post.

10 minutes later my new label maker downloading templates with no problems. Thanks again!! I've shared this tip with our IT guy at work in case he ever comes across this head scratcher during an install.

Steve

·
Registered
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am little surprised that Microsoft have not plugged the hole with there updates.
I wonder how many people have a similar problem but do not know how to find the solution,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there Dave, cool to hear back from you.

Ya I wondered about that too. I'm so thankful your post made it into the search engines, otherwise I would have had to send the label maker back.

I had another problem a few weeks ago after installing Norton Ghost 10.0. Kept getting a Windows error - No media in the drive, or something to that effect, every time I started up the software. After some web searches discovered a tip about checking the drive letter assignments. Sure enough, my laptop's built in SmartMedia card reader assigned to drive letter D, changed it to I and the problem went away. The web so cool for finding obscure stuff like this that would leave those of us who are competent, yet not gurus, stumped.

BTW - I just noticed your animated avatar, very nice!

·
Registered
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's another tip then.
If you have an older version of Ghost, use that. Version 10 is the old Drive Image and is not so good.
In any case, when you use it, always run it from the CD as if you were going to recover. Never run it from within windows. The reason is that it writes temporary stuff to the drive and then reboots anyway to run it from DOS, so you may as well do that bit yourself and reduce the risk of extra errors (which are common)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear all, if the solutions above e.g. RunOnce key in registery don't work, and you have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (maybe other versions too), you must temporally disable "Access Protection" as this is designed to stop all new hardware being installed, as it basically stops all suspect looking changes to the registery. Diable it while you install the hardware and it will work fine, did the trick for me!

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
2 Posts
I registered here just to thank you for this post. I was going nuts for about 4 hours, trying to figure out why my USB network adapter drivers would not install and kept going in continuous detection loop. I went on google as a last resort to see if I could find any information and this site is ranked #1 for that search. Thankfully, the registry key worked. I'm boggled how Microsoft could let something like this go on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've done the registry fix as described, but I am still getting the 'They system cannot find the file specified.' It doesn't go into the loop described above, but I just can not install SP2 on this machine.

It's a Compaq notebook, model number Evo N1015v

Any suggestions? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.