Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I downloaded a folder that is taking up several GB of space on my PC.

The problem is that I downloaded it (accidentally) to the System32 folder, and it doesn't show up there, even with show hidden files etc enabled. I'm using Vista HP x86, btw

It's definitely taking up space (I have used a program called VisDir which graphically informs me of the space it takes up), but if I try to access it, I get the message that it:

"...refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."

Any idea's anyone? I can't stand wasted space on my drives so this is driving me nuts at the moment.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
5,465 Posts
So you can see it is there, in the system32 folder, but just can't access it? Or there's no trace except the space report in VisDir? Now there's a possibility that it is there, but you just don't have the permisions to see it because it's in the Windows folder. Or it could be that it was disallowed (according to Windows permisions) from downloading there in the first place, and has put itself in the downloads folder or something instead, in which case you could just search Computer. Or it could be that it hasn't created itself at all but just allocated space, in which case running chkdisk might sort it out. Which seems most likely to you?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I am a little confused. You are certain that you saved it to the \System32\ directory. It does not show up there, but you can access it?

The full path to the folder will appear at the very top of the window above the toolbar of Windows Explorer. If the path seems ambiguous, click inside the toolbar to view a more standard file path. Access the folder in question with Windows Explorer.

What path is given? It should follow this format. The number of folder names may vary: C:\[folder name]\[folder name]\[folder name]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, and sorry for taking a day to respond.

To clarify, the folder is not visible within the System32 folder when viewed via Windows Explorer, but does show when using VisDir (and showing as 9gb). Now that sounds a lot, and it is because of this that I 'know' it is there somewhere because when I go to 'Computer' the amount of available disc space is about 9gb less that I would expect it to be (I did say I hated wasted space, and am almost obsessive about it...)

I've also used the Windows Search which doesn't come up with anything.

The path was C:\Windows\System32. When I right click System32 folder, it shows the size on as just 2.9gb, but VisDir shows a ruddy great 9gb block of magenta that dwarfs the rest of the System32 contents, and is supposedly my missing file.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have double checked with Unhide Operating Syetm Files etc and no luck - Windows still doesn't think it's there (apart from informing me that the available disc space is 9gb or so less that it should be).

I've also tried running chkdsk /f to no avail.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
5,465 Posts
By the way, that insert image button is for linking in to other pictures on the net, and can't be used for a picture that is still on your home computer. The easiest way to show us a picture is to attatch it, using the manage attatchements button in additional options below the advanced reply page.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
VisDir is a pretty old app now. Try something else, too. The context menu of System32 folder will be correct about its size and will include anything in the folder, hidden or not. You won't find any 9 GB folder there.

These will allow you to visualize your disk space usage:

Visual Disk
TreeSize
Xinorbis
AssessTree
Directory Size Calculator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.