Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My friend has this laptop w/ the ethernet PCMCIA card using Win98SE. He has used it before connecting to the net. He has messed around his laptop and no longer can connect to net.

The PCMCIA card does come out in the device manager in working order. However, it does not come out in 'WINIPCFG'. How do I have that come out in there?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Wouldn't you "release all" then "renew all"

if its dialup it'd be on PPP... if not dialup then other setting in the scroll down ... where the arrow is .

Hope that helps

Savvy:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...

dont i need to scroll down to where the PCMCIA card is suppose to be? the problem is that, that card isnt there to be selected. do i just selected any then Release All?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sounds like you may need to reinstall TCP/IP for your network.. I am right in thinking that when you go to winipcfg, you can only see ppp?

If so, right click on network neighborhood, click properties, click ADD----> protocols---->Microsoft---->tcp/ip

Post back!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Under the Network icon on the ControlPanel, do you see "Client for Microsoft Networks" listed as an installed component?

If you scroll down and highlight the TCP/IP entry for the network card (TCP/IP -> network card name) and select Properties. Then click on the "Bindings" tab. What is the card bound to?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
This is just too funny! I've never in my life heard of the problem described here and now it's happened to me! I have an old laptop with a newer install of Win98 (no additional software installed). Plugged it in at work for something and all was well (meaning I could get on the network and access Internet) except that I noticed my card was listed twice in Device Manager (which didn't surprise me because I was screwing with things the other day to get an external modem to work with it but that's not important since everything worked afterward) so I deleted all entries for the card and rebooted. Card was recognized and driver installed. I setup TCP/IP settings again (which isn't actually required because should get IP address from DHCP server) but it's not working and it's not listed in winipcfg or ipconfig. I think I started laughing out loud remembering this post!
So, I'm off to find the prob and I'll post back when I get it resolved!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Sorry guys but I gave up. I removed/reinstalled all networking components, trashed all pwl files (hey, ya never know), made sure there wasn't any autologon stuff going on, dug through the registry, etc. Anyway, since there wasn't anything on there anyway, I just wiped it and I'm reinstalling the OS.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I have run into this often. You look in Device Manager and the NIC is there and well, according to Device Manager but you can't conect. You go to winipcfg and no NIC. The normal fix is to remove the NIC and get it reinstalled with the right drivers and sometimes run the diagonistics on the NIC. The Operating System is not seeing the NIC even though Device Manager is.
Del

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey guys thanks

sorry for the late reply. i havent seen him since now.
My friend brought it in and have it checked out so, I dont know what the problem was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.