Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupidly simple question, but I *DO* want y'all to know I went through about 10 pages of posts to see if it had been posted already...and didn't see it addressed.

(Did get sidetracked for about an hour though with critical updates, new anti-virus downloads, etc...!)

Okay-Here's the problem...Anytime I try to log in to a secure site using my passwords, (Ebay, Paypal, etc..) it says "This page cannot be displayed."

I disabled Zone Alarm, still nothing.

I went into the Active X area and before I start messing with things I don't understand, I thought I'd ask here for help. Cookies are enabled, security says medium and under Tools/Internet options/advanced/the "Use" files are all checked.
Just for S & giggles, here is my HJT log that Rollin' Rog fixed the other night. THX!

Platform: Windows 2000 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 (5.00.2920.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\dcfssvc.exe
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DNTUS26.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\Bin\iPodSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\KODAK\KODAK EASYSHARE Software\bin\ptssvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\ESGDSL\WinPoET\WrOS.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.exe
C:\ESGDSL\WinPoET\WinPPPoverEthernet.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\dpps2.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~2\ONETOU~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\iPod\Bin\iPodWatcher.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINNT\explorer.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
N1 - Netscape 4: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "www.yahoo.com"); (C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\stewbradish\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPoET] C:\ESGDSL\WinPoET\WinPPPoverEthernet.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pop-Up Stopper] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\dpps2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OneTouch Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~2\ONETOU~2.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iPodWatcher] C:\Program Files\iPod\Bin\iPodWatcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: IMI (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37693.3802314815

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm using IE 6.0 and had that problem last week even tho the site was in the Trusted Zone. In IE click Tools> Internet Options> Security> Advanced and scroll down to SSL 2.0 and put a check by SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0. I already had 2.0 checked and when I checked 3.0 it solved the problem.

tadpole47

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
First and foremost I would determine whether this is a browser problem or something more systemic.

You can do this best by trying a different browser that does not use any IE files or caches. I like Opera7 myself: www.opera.com

The second way, not as thorough a check, is to create a new User account and login under it. This will use a different cache settings, including cookies, all of which can be involved in the problem.

And see this link, the instructions should appy to your system as well (with the possible exception of the cryptographic services stuff which I'm not sure Win2K uses):

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444

And if you are using shortcuts to access these accounts, go through the site's home pages because shortcuts store addresses which can change.

And how did you disable ZoneAlarm? Use msconfig to do it thoroughly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
STILL having issues!

I am downloading opera now, but it has been over 20 minutes (on a Broadband!) and it is still not complete.

Wanted to answer some things in the meantime...

What is browser cipher strength and where do I find it?

DID this: SSL 2.0 and put a check by SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0.

>>>create a new User account and login under it.

Ummm...a new user account for Paypal or a new user acct for the actual computer log in? Pardon my ignorance. If it is for Paypal-tried 'dat. Here is what it says when screen says "cannot be displayed".
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

I am not using shortcuts to access these accounts.

And how did you disable ZoneAlarm? On Win2000 prof, I used msconfig (downloaded from the fishing site!).

Help me...someone! I'm drowning in ignorance!

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
cipher strength refers to the number of bits used to encrypt secure text passed through the internet. The current standard is 128 bit. To check the cipher strenght of IE, select the "Help" tab and then "About IE".

It shouldn't take that long to download Opera7; it is a 13mb download last I checked. You may have connected to a bad server. Sometimes it just pays to cancel the download and try another time.

There is another workaround you can try, though it won't help if IE is badly damaged. You can try adding the root domains (that is *blabla.com) to the Internet Explorer "Trusted Zones" sites and UNcheck the option to check for https server verification for that site. It may work for some issues.

>>> Ok, I just looked at your PayPal error. Is the DATE and YEAR of your system correct?

Normally, the DATE and TIME of a Scanlog will be the first line here:

Platform: Windows 2000 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 (5.00.2920.0000)

Do you have your Cookie policy in Internet Options > Privacy set to "default"?

And I see Netscape in your startups. Does the same problem occur there? If so Opera7 probably isn't going to make a difference. You have something else blocking things.

Try a completely clean boot with msconfig. Uncheck everything except Winpoet, which you probably need to connect.

Have you cleared your Cookie cache?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, cookie cache is clean. (That's "temp internet files," right?

Date and time is correct.

Trying a clean boot. Be back.

I have win2000 Professional, not just win 2000.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
I don't mind the banner at all; I've gotten quite accustomed to Opera and use it as my "defacto" browser. Once you get acquainted with its features it is particularly useful for research. You need only highlight a word or phrase, right click on it and send it straight to Google. The tabbed index is convenient and the f12 key lets you enable/disable browser features.

Pop-ups are easily blocked (use "requested only") and the "camera" icon to the left of the address bar is a 3-way toggle for enabling/disabling image loading.

>> Yes the Cookie cache should be fully deleted from the Internet Options "general" page.

Internet Explorer v5.00

Good grief, I didn't notice that before, but why don't you just update to IE6SP1 >> that should solve the IE problem. Get the "cumulative" update as well for enhanced security protection.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
**Internet Explorer v5.00 Good grief, I didn't notice that before**

Yeesh-you say that like it's an STD or something.

The problem I am having with Opera is that the USPS site I visit and print labels from keeps popping up a window that says "you have opera version (blank) and you need opera 5.0 or above. "

That's what I downloaded! 7.0. But the big problem is the info I punch in won't go to my printer in Opera.

And now I have this Java thing all over the place...java draw, java this java that...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, yeah, btw...can I ask a quick MS WORD question while I'm here with you, or should I go post it in the proper forum and harass some other poor soul?

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
It's best to ask the Word questions in the Business Applications forum; I really don't use it much.

Can't make any sense out of your last comment. Have you updated IE? Are you having a problem with "new" windows? If you haven't updated IE, do that; if it still occurs, post a HijackThis Scanlog, it might be another hijack problem.

Try this now though, go to start and run:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

U should get a message "dll successfully registered"

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I have it successfully registered.

The problem is this: When attempting to log in to secure sites in IE-it says, this page cannot be displayed.

Now, if I use Opera, I can access and sign into the sites, including USPS, but all during the process for printing labels from the USPS site, little pop-up windows keep, well, popping up, saying I need an Opera version over 5.0. I can do everything, including filling in the form, but when it comes time for the site to send info to the printer, it won't print it. This is at $5.35 a pop, too, as the shipping labels are charged to an account. (Printer is fine...print lots of other stuff all day.)

The HJT log probably won't address this, but I can give it if you like.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
What the heck did you install? It should be 7 something. Click on Help > About Opera. You will need to contact USPS about the billing, if the error is erroneous.

Also, you appear to have Netscape installed, have you tried that?

And one last time, have you tried updating IE to see if that will solve your IE problems?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.