Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I started having trouble. Both Firefox (My regularly used browser) and IE (Only installed for compatibility) died giving 404 errors whenever I tried to go to domain names, along with my FTP client, and Thunderbird simply not connecting. All at once. MSN mysteriously still worked. I regularly use an NTL dial up connection. At first I thought that it was a problem with the connection, so I tried Orange pay as you go dial up, and UK Online pay as you go dial up. Same problem. After a while I began wondering why MSN messenger was still working fine. I had by this time tried disabling and enabling various combinations of my Firewall/Antivirus/Spyware+Adware blockers... I thought that MSN probably didn't use domain names, and most likely connected directly through IPs. I connected to the IP of a website through Firefox, and it loaded. Oddly, for about five minutes after I FIRST connect, sites such as this will load, that is how I have been able to post this thread and register. However if I disconnect, and connect again, I have no luck
I'm not sure what technical information would be needed to fix this, the only other thing I can think to say that would be helpful is that I'm (Unfortunately) using Windows ME, seeing as few things run on DOS or OS/2.
If any other technical information is needed, please tell me, and I will post it
Also, does anyone know of the IP adress for this site, so I can connect to it without having to constantly restart my computer to check for replies,
Thanks in advance

Update:
I found the IP adress... but this is odd...
after it cuts out, it won't let me access http://209.183.226.152/17-web-email/ (The forums)
but it will let me access... http://195.224.41.31:2593/status.html
any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For some reason Thunderbird's started working again, but I still can't connect to websites outside the first few minutes of the first connection

UPDATE:
It's not the time after the first connection it's failing after... it's how long since Windows started... (Only just worked this out)
Any ideas now anybody?
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Do you have your DNS and DHCP server IP's in the Trusted zone of your firewall? It sounds to me like you're being 'dropped' because your DHCP server is being blocked by your firewall.

BTW, what firewall do you use? If it is Zone Alarm, it will block the UDP packets by default. And, it is the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) that DHCP servers use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using Zone Alarm... or more to the point, was
I had trouble with it crashing all the time, and occasionly on startup, running but not working
Is it perhaps possible that Zone Alarm left behind something after I uninstalled it?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Yes, I do believe Zone Alarm is the problem. Open your Task Manager and look to see if you can find vsmon.exe running. If you can, Zone Alarm is still running.

This may sound a bit strange, but I'd reinstall Zone Alarm and then make sure it is configured properly. First download and save Zone Alarm installer program to your computer. Now boot your computer into the SAfe Mode and run the installation from there. Once installed, reboot.

Now do this.

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

If you still have a problem after you do this, then uninstall Zone Alarm this way. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.