Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Apache runs fine on XP. Its FREE and available to download.

II will run perfectly fine on XP, infact i think it comes with it.

http://www.apache.org/

·
Registered
83 Posts
right,

i said IIS comes with XP, sorry i missed a S off:eek:

·
Registered
412 Posts
So has anyone successfully managed to get PWS to work with XP HE? I have heard that it is possible and I believe it because there was a KB article on MS’s site that detailed how. However the article has been removed. The articles number is/was q310090.

I just need a server to test ASP scripts that I am working on that can be FTPed to a website after testing is completed. I hate to pay the $200 for pro for just this one feature. Especially since I have purchased Win2K pro twice already.

By the way, XP HE came preinstalled on a lap top I just purchased and the reseller said that they could not alter the OS.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased XP home edition and noticed that the manual that comes with it states that it can't run
a web server. I upgraded to the XP Pro for this reason.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Any reason you can't use IIS (included with Pro, not sure about HE) or Apache (free)?
No IIS is not included and can not be installed. However I did manage to get it to show up in the Add/Remove Components box by hacking the sysoc.inf file. It still can not be checked to install IIS though. Apache wont work because I need to test ASP scripts which rely in PWS/IIS to compile and display to the browser.

I found that Me is the only o/s that doesn't support running webservers, IIs nor PWS.
I have found the same thing however I think I am going to get Partition Magic and install Win 2000 on the laptop in a separate partition. This way I can save $140 and can resize the partitions as I need to. As it is, I am only using one of my two Pro licenses anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.