Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use Software Restriction Policies instead of RunAs to run programs with admin rights in a limited user account? I know you can buy RunAs Pro, and it's cheap and secure, but I'm just curious if SRP does the same thing for free, without having to enter the admin password or using Sanur with RunAs, which saves the password as text. Anyone know?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
There is a security policy area where the list of allowed apps can be specified. But that refers to only those apps that are run through the explorer process. Those launched through other processes are not affected. And it requires you to painstakingly specify each and every executable that you want to allow.

It is easier to use the Security tab on executables (and their shortcuts) to give Read and Execute permissions for chosen users to those apps you want to add to the ones already available to the user.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.