Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellow web designers,

I am about to wrap up web programming school and I saved the most difficult for last...

ASP.Net

after 2 years of learning web design, it seemed to me this was an over complicated way of doing things in the web world.
Especially for someone who doesnt want to code anything but web apps.

PHP on the other hand is my best friend, and I even get excited to learn new functions and now the major OOP usage. To me (being a graphic designer first) it seems I have more design freedom with it.

So my question is...................................

Will PHP ever see the large scale work that ASP.Net is used for?:confused:

I really hope to continue working with it rather than ASP.Net.....
I dont think I could keep sane trying to work with .Net on a daily basis for web programming.
(Ignore my first rant on the matter, I posted that right after the class and nothing worked int he class all night. :p )

Experienced web designers, whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent, I will go check those links out...

I didnt think myspace used ASP.Net, I thought they used cold fusion...

to add to the list, Ohio State University has their website done in PHP !!!

www.osu.edu

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Asp.net is an excellent platform for web development. It is scalable and can create websites very quickly. Personally I think asp.net competes more with java then it does php.

Php will definitely survive. It continues to grow and improve while still maintaining a fair amount of backwards compatibility. It also has a large base of very devoted programmers. It also has cross-platform interpreters and is open source.

There is definitely room for both.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
7,154 Posts
Asp.net is an excellent platform for web development. It is scalable and can create websites very quickly. Personally I think asp.net competes more with java then it does php.
I was thinking the same thing. Java Server Pages (JSP) and Servlets are more comparable to ASP.net than PHP.

Php will definitely survive. It continues to grow and improve while still maintaining a fair amount of backwards compatibility. It also has a large base of very devoted programmers. It also has cross-platform interpreters and is open source.

There is definitely room for both.
I agree! :up:

Peace...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies gents...

I am finally catching on a little stronger with ASP.Net.

While PHP is still a million more times friendly to me, (9 out of 10 sites I would be hired to work on will be graphically oriented and such, like movie and band websites) I can see the arguments for ASP.Net at the enterprise level due to some of the controls offered. Especially the ones I learned that prevent other programmers from screwing up what you have made!!!!!!! That would take me longer to set up in PHP for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.