Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking of buying a notebook pc though i've been a desktop pc user my whole life, and i have the following concerns:

-are notebooks as fragile as they look? eg: can i rip off the monitor easily?

-with the dvd drive it seems the whole thing, including the lens and the mechanical parts and the tray, needs to be pulled out in order to put a disc in, what happened with the old days where you have you have a dock with a tray loading dvd drive? wouldn't the lens gets more easily damaged with so much exposure to the outside?

-can the notebook still power on with only the power supply plugged in, minus the battery?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes. I run my notebook without the battery on AC most of the time at home. Keeping the battery away from heat will lenghten battery life in the long run. I used to keep the battery in while on AC and battery life was less than a year. I now leave it out and the battery is still good over a year and a half coming up to two years old. Most laptops today are well built, especially Fujitsu, Acer and Asus. A Fujitsu laptop has been up on Mount Everest. Some laptops have a slot loading CD/DVD tray (trayless). But I never had a problem with trays with the 2 laptops I have owned. If you are concerned about durability outdoors then consider the Panasonic Toughbook series which are used by the military in Iraq.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
The LCD panels on laptops don't "rip off". They're connected with screws. Laptops aren't fragile, but they're also not overly durable. I wouldn't recommend carrying one around by the display or tossing it around like a paperback book, but they're designed to be mobile.

Yes, you can run a laptop without the battery, but I don't see why you'd want to do it. Batteries don't last longer sitting on a shelf, and it won't be charged when you need it if you don't leave it in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.