Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A computer question - my usual sources are mute on this one.

I have a local Ethernet network (part wired, part 802.11b wireless) connected to a router.

The router connects to a gateway (IBIS) that connects to my dial-up modem out to my ISP.

I have an entry in the LMHOSTS file on each computer with the IP address and name of the gateway.

Three computers in the network can access the IBIS gateway using its name, one ("BIG SYSTEM") cannot.

BIG SYSTEM can't do a "Find computer", and it can't connect to the gateway's printer. All of the other computers can do this.

All four computers (including BIG SYSTEM) can ping the gateway, and return its IP address and name. They can ping the name (IBIS), and return its IP address - this appears to show that the LMHOSTS is being read on each computer.

All four computers can ping the router, and all four can access its HTML-based setup and control pages.

Two of the computers that can access the gateway run WIN98 (a Toshiba Libretto wired connection and an IBM 600E laptop wireless), the other one runs WIN2000 (Toshiba Portege laptop wireless).

The IBIS gateway (Toshiba Libretto) runs WIN98.

"BIG SYSTEM" (home-brew 566 MHz Celeron II, 128 MB wired connection) runs WIN98.

BIG SYSTEM is the last box I've added - it has the same version of WIN98 as the others that run WIN98, and it has all updates.

I've examined all TCP/IP settings on BIG SYSTEM against the IBM 600 and the Libretto wired connection, and I can't see any differences. BIG SYSTEM works EXACTLY as the IBM and the Libretto, for everything else except accessing the gateway.

Any ideas?

Ian.

·
Registered
343 Posts
are you using MAC filtering on your router?
run 'ipconfig /all' from a cmd prompt to check all settings, failing that, use 'netsh' to further diagnose your settings on the PC, although it sounds like a router configuration problem
cheers,
10forcash

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, 10forcash, thanks for the advice.

1. I'm not using MAC filtering, and as I understand, this wouldl stop me from pinging the gateway - is this correct?

2. I tried to use "netsh", got a "bad command or filename" DOS message - what is netsh?

Best regards,

Ian.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Bob.

I did try using the explicit pathname: \\ibis\ibishp6l

I get a message that the printer is offline.

I can't get it to come online for BIG SYSTEM, but all other computers can print to it no problems.

Any more clues?

Best regards,

Ian.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
netsh is a command you can run from XP. Since the problem seems to be on a Win98 computer, I'm not sure what it would do for you.

Could you explain a bit more how the network is configured. I'm a bit confused. What part is wired, What part is wireless, How many hubs, routers etc are there, How is the router connected, is there any differnce in how the problem computer is connected to the network as compared to the other computer.

Also, pinging by name only involves the HOSTS file. The LMHOSTS file has nothing to do with that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Bob - thanks for your interest.

From the outside (telephone connection) to the network I have:

PCMCIA modem - inserted in:

Toshiba CT50 palmtop running WIN98 - connected to:

Linksys BEFW11S4V2 wireless router - connected to:

BIG SYSTEM (homebrew desktop running WIN98) via 10baseT,

Toshiba Libretto 50 Palmtop running WIN98 via 10baseT,

IBM Thinkpad 600 E running WIN98 via Linksys WPC11 wireless card, and

Toshiba Portege running WIN2k via Linksys WPC11 wireless card.

As you'll see, there is a wired Toshiba Libretto and the Desktop (BIG SYSTEM, the one that can't "get to" the IBIS server) that (I think!) are identical - same physical connection, same O.S.

Does this help to clarify the situation?

Best regards,

Ian

·
Registered
453 Posts
Per Bob's previous suggestion, have you also tried to access ibis via IP address? i.e. \\ip_address\ibishp6l

If this works, then your LMHOSTS file may be incorrect on BIG SYSTEM.

Also, you might want to check the last character on ibishp6l when you try to connect with BIG SYSTEM. Is this a one or the letter l or a capital I?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, again.

I'll try searching by IP from BIG SYSTEM - this DOES work from the IBM via the 802.11 wireless connection.

I'm sure about the printer name - it's IBISHP6L - and it works OK on the other PCs. The name appears to be case-insensitive.

But I've checked by trying to install \\IBIS\IBISHP6L on BIG SYSTEM, and BIG SYSTEM gives a "Printer not on line" message, which I also get if I spell the name wrongly. Confusing, that: it DOESN'T report "printer does not exist", or something similarly useful.

One thing I have noticed is that I can't use NET DIAG to reach the IBIS server - is this because I can't get across the router?

If the router is blocking packets going to/from IBIS from "inside", how come:

I can "Find Computer" either by IP or by name, from all PCs except BIG SYSTEM, and

I can PING IBIS by IP or by name from ANY computer (including BIG SYSTEM).

Still pluggin' away,

Best regards,

Ian

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ian,
sorry about the netsh red herring, 'df' alcohol induced I think....
are you blocking ports with your router, print shares use 9100 (from memory)
some routers treat the wireless segment as a WAN or DMZ, if you can implicitly trust /authorise MAC addresses, add the addresses of your PC's to the list.
There is also an issue with printer shares across windows versions - cant remember exact details but its to do with pre W2k, a Technet or KB search on microsoft may tell you more. will get back if I remember / sober up....
cheers,
10forcash

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.