Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a lot of problems with my Laptop the other day and ended up having to reinstall xp pro. since the install, i can not connect to the internet. if i boot up the laptop with the network cable plugged in the laptop does not obtain any information from the cable modem but if i unplug the network cable then xp tells me that it has lost the network connection. i have tried going through ipconfig and releasing and renewing but i get a error. i tried to run a network diagnostics and get the message that the ip address has failed. if i unplug the network connection and connect it to this PC it works fine so i can eliminate the cable, cable modem and network cable as being the problem.

the laptop worked fine before the reinstall of xp but now it does nothing. anyone have any suggestions?

ps: i have not installed anything else such as any firewall protection software, just the full xp sp1 install.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am going to try to answer both responses in one so please excuse any confusion since by the time i submit this at 12 midnight, it will probably make sense, but then when i read it tomorrow i will wonder what i was thinking.. :)

the network "card" is built in to the laptop so it is not one that is inserted into the pcmcia port. i did check the device manager upon installation and there was no question marks or anything. everything was ok. i even updated the 3com driver with a update file that i obtained from dell through another machine just to make sure.

today i got a email from another person telling me to download this xp fix file for tcp/ip information. i read the information on it and it seemed to really be for people that had ip information set up and wanted to clean it out of there system and not really for something in my case, but i tried it anyways thinking at this point it would not hurt. after run the program i ran ipconfig and found that nothing has change. i also attempted to disable the "obtain ip information automatically" from the network settings and use the setting for the ip and dns information from the other PC. i rebooted and attempted to ping and get online, but both failed. i removed all the ip and dns settings, ran ipconfig release and renew ( settings went back to the default 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ) and got a error message during the renew phase telling me it cound not obtain DHCP information from the server.

as for the cable modem disks. nothing came with the cable modem back then and it is a us robotics cable modem, so it is not like it is a generic one were if there was any drivers to be loaded that there might be a problem. i also tried uninstalling tcp/ip and then reinstalling it which was kind of pointless but like you said start with the basics and i have tried to think of anything possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.