Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new AMD Athlon 1.33ghz and it is coming with Windows ME installed. I have heard horrible things about ME. One of the IT men at my work said I might be able to upgrade to Windows 98 with the Windows 98 Upgrade disk ? Is this true ? And if so do I have to do anything besides run the upgrade disk ?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
What does your windows 98 upgrade cd say on it?

And no, you're not going to be able to install it over ME....you'd be looking at reformatting the hard drive, then you'd need to have proof of prior ownership to install the upgrade on a blank drive.....this is IF the 98 upgrade disk is the true upgrade version, not just the short version of updated files......which I haven't seen, but have heard it's out there......

And this will be complicated even more if it's a Compaq machine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a brand new computer so I'm assuming I would get all the ownership information. The 98 upgrade disk is the full one, not just the files. If I can't upgrade this way, what would I have to do ? And is ME really a piece of crap ??

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
The upgrade disk is going to be looking for past versions of an operating system, I don't think ME will fill that requirement, although I may be wrong.

You'd need to reformat the hard drive, which would wipe off any additional software that may have come pre-installed.....

I've never used ME, and quite frankly, I wouldn't bother trying to 'upgrade' to it....but, if you just got the computer.....give it a chance at least......

·
Registered
310 Posts
Most of the problems with ME come when someone is upgrading. Actually from most of my experience, most problems come from upgrading......

I have had ME on on machine for about a year now without any problems what so ever. I run the same software as on my Windows 98 SE and the 98 is unstable compared to the ME... I am thinking about formatting the hard on the 98 and doing a new install of ME...

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Yes, Windows 95A-C, 98, 98SE and ME is the order they came out. Also as the old saying says "if not broken don't fix it". I personally don't like ME because it has too many automatic features, and it does not support MS-DOS. It has a problem sometimes with older PCs or complex PC configurations, but on newer PCs it is very good I am told.

My two cents!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Yes, Windows ME to Windows 98 is a downgrade, not an upgrade. I have had ME on my computer for a year, and with Cabel or DSL connection, it is very stable vs. 98. I don't think I have seen 3 blue screens of death in 12 months, as compared to Win 98.
A clean install of Win ME seems to work fine. If someone out there disagrees, I think they are wrong, or have no experence with it.
Try it out and see for yourself.
Just my opion,
Del

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had ME (Pre-installed) for nearly a year. The few problems I've had have been due to my own ignorance or incompetance.
Once over the minor teething troubles it has worked fine. The System Restore feature works well and has saved me on several occasions.
If you already have it pre-installed, why not try it out for a couple of months? Also, you should have been given a Recovery Disc of some sort by the vendor. Admittedly, these Recovery Discs do seem to vary as to how much you can do with them but at least it should let you re-install if you really get into deep water.
On the whole it seems more stable than Win98
If, after a few months, you really don't like it, then by all accounts it would be better to upgrade to WinXP than to go back to Win98

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just as a second (or fifth) opinion I also got a new PC with ME pre installed, I too heard a lot of negative opinions about it. After giving it a chance I much prefer it and I am not considering the XP upgrade until a few more of the bugs worked out. Just my opinion

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I've tried Win XP for about a week now. Depends on how you connect. I have DSL service and it is some kind of fast. Has a built in pppoe client and connects in about 8 seconds where the Enternet connection I used before took about 15 seconds.
I used to get about 990kbps with it using Win ME or Win 2000 Pro now I get over a meg average.
I tried the Win XP Corp edition and looks much like Win ME or Win 2000 Pro. Has the Admin Tools like Pro but they included the System Restore that ME has.
Started installation disk and was online in 45 minutes. Found every driver it needed and did a great job of it.
So far I would give it a 110%..
I love ME and XP seems to be even better at this point.
The only thing I have found so far to be bad is I can't stop MSN messenger from wanting to run. Not in add/remove menu..
Del

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
yup, I have never installed an o/s over an older one.
Toooo many horror stories..
Most of the tech's I speak with agree, always do a clean install.
I have an old machine, 200MHz over clocked to 233 and just got 128M ram. But works great. Triple booting ME, 2000 Pro and XP and can reboot in 45 seconds.
Just gotta keep it simple..
Take care,
Del

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.