Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LAN is normally off. I would like to have IE-6/7 turn it on when I open IE and off when I close IE. Ditto for Messenger if possible.

Despite hunting and searching I cannot find anything out about it.

Thanks, Steve-x8086

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Which version of Windows have you?
RIGHT click "my computer"
Left click "properties"
If XP, which version?
Which SP?

How is your Lan normally off? What mechanism do you use?

Which router do you use?

Which firewall do you use? You might be able to configure your firewall to open & close your internet connection based on IE's activity.

RF123

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which version of Windows have you?
>> I am using both W2000sp4 & XPpro2002 - different computers.

How is your Lan normally off? What mechanism do you use?
>> I have a shortcut on the desktop to Lan in Control Panel/Network. It allows Enable or Disable

Which router do you use? >> NONE

Which firewall do you use? >> None

>> My computers are connected with no router and seperate connections directly to my local ISP's Fiber. I am not a T1 or T3 - Boy don't I wish.

Ask away if you need more answers.

Thanks a bunch, Steve-x8086

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
How do you connect, physically, to your ISP?

Do you have said desktop icon on each computer?

Do you connect to a modem? If so, how; ethernet, USB, wireless?

Which modem, if you use 1, do you have; brand & model? I have NEVER seen a modem to which you can connect > 1 computer. I have seen modem / router combinations from ActionTec & Linksys, among others.

Is it correct for me to say that you want IE to enable your LAN connection when you open IE, and you want IE to disable your LAN connection when you close IE?

RF123

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you connect, physically, to your ISP?
>> Via the eithernet cable from the ISP's outdoor box. My ISP is my Cable and Phone Co. Fiber, as I mentioned is Broadband, not Dialup.

Do you have said desktop icon on each computer? >> Yes

Do you connect to a modem? If so, how; ethernet, USB, wireless?
>> Via Fiber as mentioned. I have No Router and therefor do not use wireless. Everything is hardwired. No Modem. The cable plugs into the 10/100 eithernet socket that is part of the Intel 915GAG motherboard.

Which modem, if you use 1, do you have; brand & model? I have NEVER seen a modem to which you can connect > 1 computer. I have seen modem / router combinations from ActionTec & Linksys, among others.
>> No modem, No dialup, No router, No combination. Each computer is indepentent and connected individually to it's own ISP-Fiber connection. No, there is not a router outside either. Both computers are totally independent of each other.

Is it correct for me to say that you want IE to enable your LAN connection when you open IE, and you want IE to disable your LAN connection when you close IE?
>> YES. That is what I asked.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
I am unfamiliar with your network [ the internet is the world's largest network ] configuration.

Thanks for confirming my request for clarification.

I suppose you could write some script [ program ] that would say, basically:
If IE is open, keep the network connection enabled.
If IE is closed and the network connection is disabled, make no change.
If IE is closed and the network connection is disabled, when IE is opened, enable the network connection.
If IE is open and the network connection enabled, when IE is closed, disable the network connection.

I am not a programmer.
I am sure it shows.
:)

RF123

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks anyhow.

I remember when I did yse a dialup modem, whenever I opened IE or OE it would ask if I wanted to connect. I guess they took that away when we went to broadband.

I try and have the broadband turned off unless I need it. this is because if it is on but I am not using it, Trojans and other Malwware can start and run in the background without my knowing about it. Also those darned Messengers from everywhere. They are quite annoying.

I'll appreciate any other ideas.

Thanks, Steve-x8086

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
To guard against outgoing attacks, whether using the computer or not, use a 3rd party firewall.

To guard against incoming attacks, whether using the computer or not, use Vista's, XP SP2's or a 3rd party firewall.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
S:
You can use TN's advice and configure the firewalls to restrict the traffic of instant messengers.

Until SP2, XP had a messenger service that was on by default; this messenger service is not the same as IMs such as Yahoo & MSN's IMs.

Some routers all you to enable & disable traffic during particular times of day. TN can tell you a lot more about this than I can tell you.

RF123

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.