Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if I can use my switch as a router or a way to get more Ethernet port? Since my router is down for the count and I need more ports! Thx

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
You can use it to "get more Ethernet port." That's the whole purpose of an ethernet switch; loosely speaking you could call it a "splitter." No, you cannot use it as a router.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
What is the brand and model of your modem? I ask because some people have a modem/router combination unit and do not realize it. With one of those you can use a switch just fine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unable to give brand and name.. Modem is in Sd,Ca. But its from time warner. And NOT as a router for sure! This should work if they take the cable from modem to switch in port, then creating or having 4 ports out right? I guess it's kinda retorical but had to double chk b4 I tell them to do it.. Im in east coast atm.

·
Registered
255 Posts
In your situation, the Cable modem is only capable of handing out 1 IP address at a time. Connect 4 PCs to a switch and the modem, and only one of the PCs will get a valid IP address.

That's why people attach routers to modems, the router becomes the '1 PC' that the modem sees, and everything behind the router gets a private IP address. In turn then, the router acts like a post office for all of the local PCs -- routing traffic to and from the correct devices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.