Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set up a machine using Windows 98 to act as a server using dial up server. I have found that I am able to call in and access files from a machine using win 95. However if I try calling using a machine running Win 2000 I get a message indicating that my password was not authenticated.

On the Windows 98 machine (the Server) I have the following networking components installed

Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial up Adaptor
IPX/SPX compatable
Filoe and printer sharing

I have similar components on the Win 95 machine however on the Win 2000 machine there does not appear to be an option to add the dial up adapter component so it is missing from the win 2000 setup.

An all machines the server type is set to Windows 95/98 ect.

Any Ideas ???

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You probably need to add TCP/IP to the W98 machine, my guess is the W2K machine doesn't have a matching protocol.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
In re-reading your message, I see that you're direct dialing into your machine, not accessing it via the Internet. I will retract my answer, I'm not sure what it would take to get these machines talking, never tried to do that. :) I prefer to put the server on the Internet so I can access it from anywhere without a long distance phonecall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.