Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
if your only getting 256 down with cable (which seems odd) then i would definitely switch over to DSL. For the most part Cable is normally faster then DSL.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Good Guy:As noted above,256 is really pretty awful.I am using Cox and just did a speed test and am getting 8-11 mbps and 515 kbps upload.
That has been pretty consistant for me for well over a year.
My caution to you about DSL would be,are they going to guarantee that speed,if not what are they willing to guarantee.On dsl,I think the limiting factors might be type of phone line(old copper or newer lines),distance from the main switch.I would not sign up for anything until you know some of the above.
My Cox connection costs about $30.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pedroguy said:
Good Guy:As noted above,256 is really pretty awful.I am using Cox and just did a speed test and am getting 8-11 mbps and 515 kbps upload.
That has been pretty consistant for me for well over a year.
My caution to you about DSL would be,are they going to guarantee that speed,if not what are they willing to guarantee.On dsl,I think the limiting factors might be type of phone line(old copper or newer lines),distance from the main switch.I would not sign up for anything until you know some of the above.
My Cox connection costs about $30.
My God, ive been getting screwed.

this is the company I have, and Im paying the same thing, but not getting this speed, this is ridiculous

http://www.adelphiaoffers.com/1/order.php

here is what i was planning on switching to

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=...=CJ1&RD=37922269&DCMP=att_affiliatelandinghsi

·
Registered
198 Posts
You guys, he has Road Runner Lite, the slower version of Road Runner.

If I were you though I would personally switch to DSL. From what it sounds like the service you have right now is pretty much awful for the price.

I currently have Centurytel DSL and I'm pretty happy with it. I would much rather have Road Runner Business Class, which we are going to switch to in about 8 months, but this is fine for now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here are the results of my connection:

1,473 KBPS Download Speed

263 KBPS Upload Speed

I currently receive my service from Centurytel's DSL in a bundle I have with my telephone. Should I upgrade my Internet to a faster connection? I honestly don't know the price of what I have in the bundle... well, since it is a bundle, but I think the link below might be of some help...

http://www.centurytel.com/applications/checkDSL/dsl_price.cfm

I'm not sure, but I think I may have DSL Supreme.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I personally would upgrade to the actual Road Runner service. Right now you have Road Runner Lite which is comparable to a pretty slow DSL service. It's about $10 more per month to get true Road Runner.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Sorry... I was working. I use Comcast Cable and get approx 8mb down and 356k up. The up speed isn't too good but i don't upload a whole lot anyway.

If you pay the extra 10 bucks what would the 'up to' speed be?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I have Verizon FiOS, a direct fiber connection. There is a faster service 30mbit/5mbit, but it's much more expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did I read that site correctly? Says Verizon DSL is $9.99??? That's awesome. I have cable and spend $45! it's killing me. I'm sure DSL is a little slowever but will I really notice the difference or should I stick with cable?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.