Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is purely because I like to hear other opinions.
Im looking to get myself a new pc and I was wondering what is the best to do: buy the prebuilt system or buy all the parts I want and build the pc myself.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Cost wise you can buy a system cheaper then you can build one. I have built quite a few over the years but my last system a core 2 dell I picked up off craigs list for $100. added ram and a video card and I kick my sons butt on his system I built for about a $1,000 just a year and a half ago. My dell included XP pro. Cant even but that for $100.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
So 6000 ZAR is around 450GBP or 750USD, which isn't a bad price to build a PC. However, what are the components you are looking at?

Personally, I think the 'build v buy' question is quite a subjective one and can often depend on what you want to use the machine for. If you aren't gaming then you can pick up some dirt cheap pre-built systems which are more than good enough and you are unlikely to build the same for less.

Gaming is another matter, it will nearly always cost you more to buy or build.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in for gaming. The parts I want to use is a Core2 Quad q8400 2.66ghz cpu, 4gig 800mhz ram. The gpu is a bit difficult to decide because there is lots from which I can choose. The Psu is goin to be about 585 to 600 watts
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
274 Posts
There is no doubt that you can buy a very well equipped pc cheaper from the likes of Dell than you could if you bought like-for-like parts and software yourself. However, a year or so down the line and you want to upgrade OR you need to change mobos etc - you will wish you spent the extra 15-20% and built your own pc to suit your specific needs - just spend some time looking at other threads on this forum relating to Dell computers and replacing parts/upgrading.
In addition to the above , you need to see what BIOS support you get on the Dell web site (even for their latest gaming pcs) and you will be lucky if you get an option - where as if you look at the volumes of support you get from the likes of Gigabyte, Asus and MSI, you will see a very, very big difference.
The bottom line is that all consumer PC mass producers squeeze every last penny they can to maximise their proffit margins and in doing so they all skimp on quality and future flexibilty - and it is not just Dell who do this, most of them do.
In addition to the future upgrade limitations and build quality you will also loose in the warranty stakes. If you built your own pc and spent the extra 20% you could have a PSU with a 5 or 7 year warranty - LIFETIME warranty on your Graphics card (even if overclocked!) and LIFETIME warranty on your RAM just for starters!!.
So as the title states - "Short term gain - Long term LOSS!!"

Please feel free to post your specific requirements for a PC on here (or seperate thread) and prompt the many experienced folk for a decent platform which gives you Long Term value for money.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. But for me I think self-build will be better because i am 160km from the city. If I buy a prebuildt pc there is warranty on the whole system,but when I open the case the warranty void. So everytime I want to clean my pc from dust etc I have to take in my pc so they can open it
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
63 Posts
PLUS, if you're competent at hardware, you can put together a better suite of hardware than they do at the stores, where they stay at the mid to lower range of specs, unless you spend a BUNCH of money..

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your replys. I have decided to build up my own pc. That will be a plus
seeing that I want to become a computer technician. And I have experience in building up pc's. Thanks again, you all helped me to decide.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
443 Posts
Late to the thread but ;good choice on your part. I've built all my systesm (excluding laptops) for the past 10 years. The home built system lasts longer is easier to upgrade / modify when that time comes plus you know all the components since you picked them out yourself. You get a truly best of breed machine since all are known good parts from reputable companies. Newegg.com is a great source for parts and sharkeysextreme.com is a good place to check for the latest CPU prices.
Myself, I've had great luck with AMD and saved quite a few dollars by going AMD instead of Intell.
Good luck with your build. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.