Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trouble being able to burn. I am using a LITE-ON 16X DVD Burner and it is not cooperating. I have tried Nero 7 Ultra, Roxio Easy CD Creator 9 and Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.

I am trying to back up some wmv files to a DVD and it "hangs" at the beginning of the process. My worst case scenario: the computer restarted every single time I tried to burn using Nero.

What could be the problem? How can I resolve this? The drives are functional for everything else and I have swapped the drive to my other tower and it burns on the other tower.

Edit: when I say back up, I mean Data-DVD...not actual DVD playable on a player

SPECS: P4 3GHz 1GB DDR RAM LITE-ON 16X DVD Burner (SHM-165P6S)

:confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Attached is a text file of another burner which I have installed and yet I still cannot burn. What seems to be the problem? Anyone? Over 10,000 members and nobody knows?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Looking through your logfile the only thing I notice is that your drive is listed as a scsi drive not an IDE drive. This would suggest it is not connected through normal IDE controllers on your motherboard. You may have a raid enabled motherboard which when not using a raid array allows the 40 pin connectors to be used as normal. The raid controller rather than normal IDE controllers look after these ports though so they get listed as scsi drives not IDE drives. When building my system I went through the whole learning process.
While this is fine for hard drives the standard advice is not to use optical drives on such controllers. I had exactly the same problems until I swapped my optical drives to normal IDE ports. Your drives working in another machine may confirm this.
In device manager how are your optical drives listed, IDE or SCSI? If they are SCSI devices then I believe that may well be your problem even if the above example of how that can come about isn't true in your particular case.

That's the only thing I can suggest - all the other info in your logfile seems fine. You've tried different software so have explored that route. It works on other hardware - the other machine. We're left with your hardware.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Roxio's Easy CD creator, and Nero will not co-exist well together. When they are on the same computer, at the same time, they will create problems 99% of the time. I've known of people having burning problems, with both on their computer. Once they remove one or the other, things worked fine. So, I'd try taking one of them off. Get their pieces out of the registry too.

This may or may not fix your problem, but it has fixed similar problems in the past.
Good luck!

Also, this was in your log.........
CdRomPeripheral : SONY CD-RW CRX320E NYK5 viadsk Port 0 ID 0 DMA: Off
CdRomPeripheral : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109 1.17 viadsk Port 1 ID 0 DMA: Off
DiskPeripheral : WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 02.0 viamraid Port 2 ID 0 DMA: Off
The DMA needs to be on, on both drives.
To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Just to add to what emoxley says about dma. If the drive is a scsi device not under the IDE controllers, my memory tells me you won't have the option to turn dma on which is why it may be off, and that may add weight to my earlier option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
emoxley, these both drives have worked on my computer before. they just stopped working after re-formatting my drive. no changes were made inside the tower, just the hard drive and operating system. i re-installed xp home. i've always had xp home. they drives work to read, but not to write. also, i followed your steps up until step 7. i don't see an advanced tab or anything with DMA.

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
The log seems to also suggest the drive doesn't like your discs.

The SCSI thing is kind of tough to call as VIA chipsets have always somehow muddied the waters in this regard.

Here's a portion of my log (note no problems with Nero) standard, older, IDE, non-raid KT333 VIA system.

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
DiskPeripheral : SAMSUNG SP1604N atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
DiskPeripheral : SAMSUNG SP2014N atapi Port 0 ID 1 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4520B atapi Port 1 ID 1 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : NERO IMAGEDRIVE2 2.26 imagedrv Port 3 ID 0 DMA: Off
CdRomPeripheral : H+H DVD-ROM DVD-707B4.00 vcdmpdrv Port 4 ID 0 DMA: Off

·
Registered
712 Posts
I didn't realize that DMA doesn't play into it, with scsi drives......... :)

@mrsafest..........what you said about how it was before doesn't really matter, with this stuff. Almost anything can cause your drives to jump into PIO mode (instead of DMA). Reformatting can definitely cause it. Reinstalling the OS can definitely cause it.
But, this is beside the point, if scsi drives don't use DMA setting, like IDE drives do.
Oh well...........we tried! :)

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
emoxley said:
I didn't realize that DMA doesn't play into it, with scsi drives......... :)

@mrsafest..........what you said about how it was before doesn't really matter, with this stuff. Almost anything can cause your drives to jump into PIO mode (instead of DMA). Reformatting can definitely cause it. Reinstalling the OS can definitely cause it.
But, this is beside the point, if scsi drives don't use DMA setting, like IDE drives do.
Oh well...........we tried! :)
What I tried to explain is that I doubt they are SCSI at all, do they even make SCSI drives these days? And I've noticed that Nero InfoTool also has problems with nForce chipsets when it comes to reporting DMA.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
do they even make SCSI drives these days?
Don't think they do. In my case I have a motherboard with 3 IDE ports/channels 2 of which can be used in a raid array. If I don't use a raid array the ports are still controlled by the raid controller as opposed to the standard IDE controller. Any drive plugged into them are then listed under the 'SCSI and Raid' controller in device manager as SCSI devices, although they are standard IDE drives. I don't begin to understand why but my optical drives just didn't work when plugged into them exactly as the poster desribes, and after days of googling the general consensus of advice was don't use optical drives through scsi/raid controllers. I swapped the opticals to the standard IDE controlled channel and put my hard drives on the 'scsi and raid' controlled ones and it all worked fine on reboot. DMA isn't an option on the raid controlled 'scsi' drives.
Here's a screen shot of my 'scsi' hard drives run through the raid controller. Opticals work fine on the standard ata/atapi controller. I wanted them all to be IDE channels but I gave up in the end as it all works fine anyway. Never did find out if there's any difference in performance. I started a thread here at the time asking why are they scsi. Advice was basically it doesn't matter and that's how it works through the raid controller.
mrsafest, in device manager is your optical drive listed as a IDE or SCSI device?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
As per the above or if your hard drive is listed as an IDE device, swap them around so the hard drive is plugged into your current DVD connector on the motherboard - do that first and tell your computer to boot from there in the bios, then plug your DVD drive where your hard drive was. Your hard drive can be a scsi device with no problems - well mine can anyway ;) DVD drive must be controlled by the IDE controller. ie - be an IDE device.
Then check emoxley's first post to make sure it is as he says.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Most drives on 3rd party controllers are listed as SCSI, that's normal.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Have you right clicked on Channel 1 and enabled it? It appears to have been disabled for some reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.