Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started using a CD burner, problem is that when I go back to add more info it says "Read only"....another question, can I also delete and add more to these disks or is it a 1 time thing?

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you burn on CD-R, it's a one and done thing. A CD-RW can be recorded over a few thousand times. However if you want to continue to add files once it has been burned on a CD-RW then you have to use a special feature, like on Easy CD Creator, you would use DirectCD.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kenneth2k1 said:
If you burn on CD-R, it's a one and done thing. A CD-RW can be recorded over a few thousand times. However if you want to continue to add files once it has been burned on a CD-RW then you have to use a special feature, like on Easy CD Creator, you would use DirectCD.
Ken,
Thanks for the reply, I am using a cd-rw but when I go back to it and try to add on or delete parts of it...it says "Read Only".
Someone told me using this new disk system is the same as using the old floppies...Im finding that hard to believe now.
I tried to use the Nero Start Smart that came with this new system but it still says "read only"

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
To use a CD-RW disk as a floppy, you have to format it using packet writing software. Otherwise, you can burn files to it and leave the session open, and then you can add more files later.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DoubleHelix said:
To use a CD-RW disk as a floppy, you have to format it using packet writing software. Otherwise, you can burn files to it and leave the session open, and then you can add more files later.
Whoa!! thats something I never heard of but it sounds pretty good to me..
This pocket writing software, is that a brand name or can I get it from someplace on here?

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
INCD comes as part of Nero
DirectCD comes as part of Roxio

what software do you have

If you keep the CD in the same drive - dont finish the CD leave it open and then you shoudl be able to ADD - but it will only work on that CD until you finish the CD - then complete it so that it can be read anywhere at which point its read only

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
etaf said:
INCD comes as part of Nero
DirectCD comes as part of Roxio

what software do you have

If you keep the CD in the same drive - dont finish the CD leave it open and then you shoudl be able to ADD - but it will only work on that CD until you finish the CD - then complete it so that it can be read anywhere at which point its read only
I have the Nero smartstart

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
Sounds like you might only have Nero Express, that comes bundled with a drive? If so you possibly don't have InCD.

Just be aware that, while packet writing software is often very convenient, please don't rely on it for critical backups. It is more prone to corrupting the entire disk than a regular burn.

Also to read the disk on another PC requires the software to be installed on the PC.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Most new computers don't come with floppy drives, so those aren't too useful anymore. Technology changes. If you need to frequently transfer files between computers, consider getting a USB flash drive. As long as you're using new operating systems (Windows 2000 & Windows XP), you can just plug it in and use it just like a floppy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.