Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these are the stuff that i picked out so far for a new pc.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor HH80562PH0568M - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor

Memory - Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz EPP Memory (2x 1024MB) 2 sets of these

Video card - EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card

Motherboard - Asus P5N-D Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

and how can i find out what kind of a power supply i need for the pc?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
You're going to want something around 500 to 600 watts, make sure it's nice. By nice I mean to mostly look at the brand and how many amps are on the 12v rail. This one will be great for your system:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
Anywhere from 35 and up amps for a system like yours. The above has 41 on a single 12V rail, which is slightly more stable than multiple 12V rails.

Don't go too cheap on it. I would never spend less than 80 bucks on a power supply for a system like yours, just as a reference. IMO it's one of if not the most important component in a computer because it's connected to everything, and if it goes it most likely will take 1 or more other components with it.

Edit:
And the link that jazz posted is a good reference, however it is a little old. Modern graphics cards like the one you picked out will actually use power off of the 12V rail, not the 3.3V rail. And it will use much more than 3 amps. Also, I don't agree with most of the brands listed in there. In general, you'll want to stick with Thermaltake, Corsair, FSP (Forton Source), Seasonic, Antec, Enermax, or OCZ. If anyone wants to add to that list then go for it, I think there's a few more I can't think of at the moment.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
In general, you'll want to stick with Thermaltake, Corsair, FSP (Forton Source), Seasonic, Antec, Enermax, or OCZ. If anyone wants to add to that list then go for it, I think there's a few more I can't think of at the moment.
In addition to the brands Jackie listed, I personally like Ultra PSU's. Good quality, solid performance, stunning looks (if you're into fancy stuff like that), and rock-solid warranty.

Just bought an Ultra X-2 750watt UV-blue PSU for a new build on sale for $70. You can't go wrong! :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So your saying that you dont agree with the memory brand. Well i looked at 3 of them and i just put that one up there i was thinkin of crucial , crosair and ocz or kingston. but i might go with crosair or ocz not sure yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would this power supply do for the comp that im building

Apevia / Beast Power / 680-Watt / ATX / Triple Fan / Active PFC / Aluminum / SLI-Ready / SATA Ready / Blue Sleeve / Power Supply

what do u guys think about it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
So your saying that you dont agree with the memory brand.
Don't think he was saying that exactly.

Crucial is pretty much one of the best brands out there for memory. I don't think you've made a bad choice at all.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Yeah the memory brand is great.
I wouldn't trust that power supply. The one I linked to is actually better and costs less.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
You are purchasing some good components for your build, so DON'T cut corners on your power supply.

Apevia is a mediocre power supply. The unit Jackiefrost9 recommended is a much better unit. Personally, I prefer non-modular, single +12v rail units. Other good single +12v rail units are PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone and Zippy.

Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey thanks for your help yeah i dont know much about power supply's i read somewhere about them and what brands are good but i forgot. And i know that power supplies are important thats why im asking these questions.

The most thing that im concerned is about the motherboard since i dont know much about them. I know that i need to look at the stuff that it will support but other then that what else would u look at? the brand and thats it or is there more to it.

so that 550w power supplie would work good with the stuff i picked?

Here i found a case and a powersuppley so if you have time you can check it out and tell me what u guys think.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3571906&CatId=1483

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Don't go with case power supplies for high end builds, which is what yours is. They can be OK for midrange but not for high end. The one I linked to is still better. To recommend a case, I've used this one in a build before and it was good for the price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
That should be a pretty good PSU.

Need to stick to a good PSU.

Top: PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, Seasonic
Good: Antec, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, FSP Group, Enermax

Crap: Ultra, PowerMax, RaidMAX, PowerMan or any other sub $40 junk (450watts or more).

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I would seriously recommend the one I linked to...
It's got 41A on the 12V rail, which is great for 550W. If you went for a 500W one then shoot for somewhere around 35A on the 12V rail. You don't need more unless you're planning on SLI.

For motherboards you generally want to pay attention to brand, chipset, and features. Good brands are Asus, Gigabyte, Intel. Ok brands are Abit, DFI and EVGA. That's just what I prefer. I've heard others say they love EVGA and DFI though. For the chipset you're mainly looking for features. If you want SLI then go for a NForce chipset. If you want crossfire with an Intel processor then go for the Intel X38 chipset. If you want Crossfire with an AMD processor then get either the AMD 770 or 790 chipset. If you want RAID then make sure you get a southbridge that can support it. Intel ICH9R is an example of an Intel southbridge that supports RAID, the Intel ICH9 does not support RAID. See the pattern there? It holds true with all Intel southbridges.

So it comes down to what you want to do with the computer. Is it going to be used for gaming? Do you want RAID? Do you want SLI or Crossfire?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Even $50 boards will do RAID tho...

ASUS quality has gone down quite a bit lately - I've gone through a lard number of bad ones. Gigabyte is working out a lot batter for a lot of people.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah thats what i heard about asus as well that it went down. Yes i will probably ugrade to sli in time. Thats why i want to kno what psu will do good. Could you explain to me the amps and the rails and all that stuff i dont get that.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
That should be fine... It should handle a small SLI setup as well (8800gt x2).

Still, check out the Gigabyte brand of motherboards. Nforce chipsets are just as reliable as intel - if not better. Intel has had/have their OWN problems with their chipsets.

So if you think you want to do SLI anyways, you'll need an Nforce chipset anyways... but there is very limited choices at this time for a dual 16x 2.0 slot boards for intel CPUs. An X38 chipset will do, about $185~265. An AMD equivlent board starts at about $90, but avg $125. (2x 16x slots)

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
If you notice the TigerDirect site does not (at least I couldn't find them) publish any output values for this power supply.

The peak current is shown at the Cooler Master site to be 19 amps on 3 +12v rails (57 amps), but then the combined +12v rail output is listed as 540 watts which would equal 45 amps.

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&tbcate=22&id=2551
(click on features to see the stated outputs)

Here is a link to a discussion that took place in here recently regarding a Cooler Master 600 watt power supply.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/688930-solved-will-my-psu-power.html

On that particular power supply the peak amps on the 3 +12v rails was advertised to be 58 amps. On the decal that unit only actually had 38 continuous amps available. The +12v3 rail which was originally advertised to have a peak output of 19 amps on it only had a continuous rated output of 8 amps.

The power supply you have chosen may very well satisfy your needs. The only thing I am saying is try to know exactly what you are purchasing before you purchase.

In my opinion the game the manufacturer played with the numbers on the 600 watt unit i.e peak amps vs continuous amps was a little confusing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.