Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Building an external hard drive.

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I was just wanting to know, if it's possible, to build an external hard drive from scratch, when you have the necessary parts to do so? BTW, I don't mean building one with parts from a computer supply store. I meant, building one with computer parts lying around the house! Thank You.:cool:

#2 ·
You could, but it would be a massive project if you don't have the development tools for the uP you'd have to use for the controller.

Since you can buy a USB -> IDE or USB -> SATA controller for $15-20, this seems like an exercise in futility.

You also assume you have the necessary parts and expertise to build this. ;) I've been designing and building electronic equipment for years, from air-data computers for military and commercial aircraft to video distribution boxes for Wall Street, and I sure wouldn't attempt this. My reason is simple, there are plenty of commercial alternatives available that would be far cheaper in parts and require no labor on my part. I'm sure if I wanted to spend the time I could build one, but I doubt I have all the necessary parts, I'd probably end up spending way more than the cost of the commercial unit.

#4 ·
You might want to consider the power consumption for that old PC. There is a cost of ownership issue here. The PC based one will be huge compared to a USB connected drive, and the USB drive enclosure can be had for $25 or so, since for either scenario you obviously have to have the hard disk.

This seems to be a no-brainer, unless you just have tons of time and/or money to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.