Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I need some help in building a PC for my father. He will use it for his business (use of some accounting programs together with some programs for mobile phones <--- use of iTegno modem), internet, word processing, some minor music editing (burn,rip etc.), DVD movies and some gaming (he particularly likes the C&C games specifically the Generals). I think that Generals might be the only game that he will install. Aside from that, the PC will be turned on most of the time. The budget will be around $600.

Is Intel best suited for his needs rather than AMD? Since I know that AMD is more suited for gaming while Intel is for other stuff (please correct me...) I have an AMD PC for gaming.
I think he needs a dual core setup since he likes to multi-task in windows.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays! :cool:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well unless you go Core 2 Duo then AMD would be the best for gaming. That has changed with the Intel Core 2 Duo but the cheapest I could build a machine with a Core 2 Duo that I would be happy with would be around $750. The OS always throws the price up a little.
Laptop for gaming? Noway.. It takes a min of $1500 to enter the bottom line gaming laptop. Never played C&C game not sure how graphic intense it is but laptops for gaming bad ideal unless you have $2000

Let me know exactly what you have to spend or is $600 the limit?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think those seem fine. However I forgot to mention that he would be playing the C&C Generals in that laptop. I think that will be the only game that he might play (it has low requirements but requires a video card). Will those be sufficient?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
As mentioned before laptops just do not play games very well Till you get around the $1800-2000 mark. The laptops listed will do well for general purposes but not for any type of hardcore gaming. Not sure of the requirements C&C has but the laptops will play some cheap non demanding games at lowest settings. Nothing more then that. So, I'm not going to say yes or no if they will play the games you mention.

·
Registered
336 Posts
C&C is not graphically demanding at all... Anyway, I would go with a desktop, just because you could upgrade easier (if it is even possible for a laptop), repair would be much, MUCH easier, and it would be cheaper.

A laptop with a Core 2 DUO, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, and so on would cost you in the upwards of 900 dollars, or so I believe.

EDIT: NO! Do not go with anything from Walmart. Terrible, TERRIBLE idea. Those computers are cheap and of a very poor quality. If you are going to buy a laptop already built, then get one from a well known company.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.