Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards and to building in general, so I am trying to catch up on what some of the new tech is. I mostly use my PC for gaming, though I tend to run just a little behind what the newest games are. I was hoping you guys could answer a couple questions for me.

First, I bought a Pent D 940 3.2 GHz. Was that a big mistake rather than just buying the Core 2 Duo? Found the CPU with a really good deal ($110) and jumped on it since my budget is tight (new baby :D )

I bought the mother board based on wanting room to upgrade, so I bought a P5NSLI (saw someone recommend it in anther thread a few mins ago so I guess I did okay on this one). On SLI, since I bought a 7600 GS 256 MB vid card, do I need to get another identical card to run this SLI or does it run with just any 2 video cards? Is it worth it?

Does 533 MHz vs 667 MHz make a big diff on the RAM? (I bought the first- DDR2)

I'm still using my old hard drives (80 GB and 20 or 40 GB for non system stuff). I was looking at adding a 3rd and was thinking of getting one of the SATA drives, but I don't understand what the difference was (besides connector). I found a 250GB drive Ultra ATA and a 160 SATA for close to the same price, but the stats on both were 150 MB/sec. Is there another difference that I don't understand?

Lastly, my old CD burner is a 52/32/52 (? I think)...is that extremely outdated or is it okay for now (upgrade later)?

Thanks for reading this much and thanks a ton for any advice or explanation you can spare.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
First, I bought a Pent D 940 3.2 GHz. Was that a big mistake rather than just buying the Core 2 Duo? Found the CPU with a really good deal ($110) and jumped on it since my budget is tight (new baby )
Well you saved $70

Lets look at the performance loss you got by saving $70
granted the E6400 cost $220 but they have E6300 that cost $180 a little bit less performing then E6400 but not by much.

(look at the red lines)
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=438&model2=433&chart=169

I bought the mother board based on wanting room to upgrade, so I bought a P5NSLI (saw someone recommend it in anther thread a few mins ago so I guess I did okay on this one). On SLI, since I bought a 7600 GS 256 MB vid card, do I need to get another identical card to run this SLI or does it run with just any 2 video cards? Is it worth it?
Yes you must match up with the same GPU, Is it worth it? right now I would say no, why? cause DirectX 10 is coming out soon and its going to be so much better then what is out now and the 7900GS will never be able to play directX10 games. Start saving you money for a directX10 card (only one out now is Nvidia 8000 series)
Games in DirectX10
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77741
See what I mean? save your money, directx 10 is not backwards compatible

How to learn about SLI
http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_howtobuild_1.html

I'm still using my old hard drives (80 GB and 20 or 40 GB for non system stuff). I was looking at adding a 3rd and was thinking of getting one of the SATA drives, but I don't understand what the difference was (besides connector). I found a 250GB drive Ultra ATA and a 160 SATA for close to the same price, but the stats on both were 150 MB/sec. Is there another difference that I don't understand?
Just to keep it simple lets just say that Sata is way faster then IDE, if you need to know more Google it.

Lastly, my old CD burner is a 52/32/52 (? I think)...is that extremely outdated or is it okay for now (upgrade later)?
If its not broke don't fix it. When it comes to drives that's the way I look at it. No need to buy new. your really not going to gain anything. They are cheap nowadays $30 for a DVD/CD burner. the only thing is I always noticed that drives fail at a very important time. like when you really need one.

Hope that helps good day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent, thanks for all the links!

That Tom's Hardware is a pretty neat site.

For now, i'd say i'm happy with the processor since my most demanding game is WoW :p

I will look at upgrading to the Core2 in the future since my motherboard is Core 2 Ready.

I will keep an eye out for deals and make the SATA drive my next upgrade.

Gonna reread thru the posts and sites you gave me to make sure i'm understanding. Again, thanks for the help and all the really good info.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
Did you make a mistake with that cpu? No, it will run fine. All socket 775s can be a pain to install the hsf so be careful when you install it. I do these outside of the case [intel says to install the hsf with the board mounted in the case] Doing it this way you can check the underside of the board to make sure all four push pins are fully engaged.

Is sli worth it? IMO no. SLI is nothing more than a gimmick; the technology is not new. It has been around since the late 90s.

Do not believe the hype of sata over ide. While the theoretical speed of sata is higher, both drives will bench well below the theoretical limit. Since most boards now come with only 1 IDE port, I would get a sata drive simply for that reason alone.

As an example of the above, I had 2 maxtor 80gig ide drives in raid0 connected to a highpoint controller. They actually benched slightly faster than 2 seagate 120gig sata2 drives with ncq connected to a promise controller [promise controller supported ncq and sata2]

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
cpu is fine, hey $70 is a months worth of diapers, WoW will certainly run fine, yeah "sata is way faster" dont know about that, as was said we're kind of getting forced into it is more accurate to say.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
okay didn't want to but I will do it anyways,

advantages of having Sata.
1. Newer technology with future speed increases promised
2.Speed (150mbps (SATA) vs 100/133mbps (PATA))
3. Air flow (large IDE cable vs thin SATA)
4. Hot swappable (SATA)

Far as speed goes perhaps I chose wrong word and should of left out "way" faster
Sata is faster and can achieve speeds that IDE can not.

Test will very greatly depending on
1. The drive being used.
Raptor is a good one to use against IDE (simply need a good performing Sata)
(most important factor is type/manufacturer/model of drive being used)
2.The test setup
example Raid 0, 1 ext..
3.What are we looking at read write? ext..

As mentioned in total Sata can achieve speeds IDE just can not do.

And speeds should get fatser, although I am still disapointed in the Sata speed development, due to the fact that its been around since 2000 and they really havent increased it that much since they first released it.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
why did you NOT want to do this? say what ever you want;) for cost sata has been a little disappointing, leaving out "way" makes it sound a little more accurate, it is faster, in the real world will you notice? probably not, but its a moot point because the ide slots are disappearing fast.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
For the simple reason of disappearing ide ports, I would get a sata drive. As for the speed, I used HDTune to bench both ide and sata. I was really surprised since I consider promise controllers to be slightly better than highpoint, however the highpoint ide raid beat the promise sata raid by a very small margin [something like 1 or 2 meg per second]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.