Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is the final list for my uncles build..

can anyone confirm that its OK?

i know the mobo is mATX and case is ATX but its cheaper and he's moaning about cost cos the original plan was to upgrade current PC to dual-core but turns out weve had to build a new PC apart from DVD and IDE hard-drive as his old sempron setup with DDR1 Ram and 300w PSU was no good

list:
1 x Asus TA-881 Black/Silver Midi Case No PSU - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124931
1 x Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L iG31 Socket 775 Onboard VGA 6 channel audio mATX Motherboard - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140066
1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20GHz Socket 775 800FSB 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130486
2 x Extra Value 1GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 240pin Extra Value Ram - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120640
1 x Nvidia 8600GT 540M 256MB DDR3 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141265
1 x Extra Value Gold 350W 12cm Fan Silent PSU - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126038
2 x Extra Value IDE cable Rounded UDMA Ultra 133/100 (Blue) 18" - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/123022
1 x Plexus DVI-D Dual Link Flat Panel Replacement Cable (Black) 2m - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130568
1 x Zalman ZM-STG1 Thermal Grease - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125310

We will be wanting to Overclock to 3Ghz as ive read the E4500 can handle it with ease with stock HSF... ive never overclocked before but
have heard you just change bus speeds in BIOS...so must be simple enough....

can anyone also recommend if this is correct? and what speed do you think is max for oc'ing the E4500 with stock HSF?

THANKS

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he wont cos its cost cost cost

he wanted to use the PSU out of old machine BUT he says it doesnt have ANYTHING on it that stated output???

He moaned cos he thought it was gunna be £25 and i said you can get them from £10

why would that one be no good?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
he wont cos its cost cost cost

he wanted to use the PSU out of old machine BUT he says it doesnt have ANYTHING on it that stated output???

He moaned cos he thought it was gunna be £25 and i said you can get them from £10

why would that one be no good?
No name brand, no information on output specs.

Trust me when I say that PSU is one of the areas that you DO NOT want to go cheap on. There are all kinds of stability issues that come from crummy PSU's.

If he really wants to save on the cash that badly, then skip the Zalman thermal grease, and just use the IDE cables that come with the motherboard. The processor should come with a heatsink that already has a thermal pad applied, and the IDE cables that come with the mb will do the job just fine.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.................also... his old PSU powers
2 Optical drives,
1 Hard drive,
1 nVidia 6200GS,
1 sempron + mobo,
1 x LAN card

wil it power this setup?

the grease + IDE cables only save £7
still could add that onto the £11 and get £20 PSU

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
.................also... his old PSU powers
2 Optical drives,
1 Hard drive,
1 nVidia 6200GS,
1 sempron + mobo,
1 x LAN card

wil it power this setup?
It might work, but without more info on the old PSU, it's hard to tell. That motherboard will use a 24pin power connector, and if the old PSU uses the old-style 20pin design, there's no way it will work.

Again, on a build like this, especially if you're going to overclock at all, then a solid PSU is not only a good idea, but a necessity.

the grease + IDE cables only save £7
still could add that onto the £11 and get £20 PSU
Also, why does he need a new DVI cable? The video card will come with an adapter to go from VGA to DVI if that's what he needs. That will save you an extra few dollars.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might work, but without more info on the old PSU, it's hard to tell. That motherboard will use a 24pin power connector, and if the old PSU uses the old-style 20pin design, there's no way it will work.

Again, on a build like this, especially if you're going to overclock at all, then a solid PSU is not only a good idea, but a necessity.

Also, why does he need a new DVI cable? The video card will come with an adapter to go from VGA to DVI if that's what he needs. That will save you an extra few dollars.
it doesnt say that the 8600GT comes with adapter cable?? and I thought it would be better to use DVI cable..?? if i know for SURE that its gunna come with cable then I will remove all cables and grease and get a decent PSU - stuff him he can pay the extra few bucks

The 8600GT is DVI out only and his monitor is DVI and VGA in

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
it doesnt say that the 8600GT comes with adapter cable?? and I thought it would be better to use DVI cable..?? if i know for SURE that its gunna come with cable then I will remove all cables and grease and get a decent PSU - stuff him he can pay the extra few bucks

The 8600GT is DVI out only and his monitor is DVI and VGA in
Technically it is 'better' to use the DVI cable, but it's not going to be terrible if you use VGA with the adapter.

Pretty much every video card comes packaged with a 'dongle' or small adapter plug to use VGA cables in DVI connectors. In the off-chance that it doesn't, you can pick an adapter up for a buck or two at a local tech shop.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Technically it is 'better' to use the DVI cable, but it's not going to be terrible if you use VGA with the adapter.

Pretty much every video card comes packaged with a 'dongle' or small adapter plug to use VGA cables in DVI connectors. In the off-chance that it doesn't, you can pick an adapter up for a buck or two at a local tech shop.
he says his monitor has DVI-D and Dsub inputs... (DVI and VGA) but is the DVI-D mean its digital only? and is the DVI output on the 8600GT Analogue? ive just read on amazon that you can get digital AND analogue DVI...?

I dunno whether or not to take risk not getting cable cos the local stores around here ARENT cheap and probably WONT have them in

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
he says his monitor has DVI-D and Dsub inputs... (DVI and VGA) but is the DVI-D mean its digital only? and is the DVI output on the 8600GT Analogue? ive just read on amazon that you can get digital AND analogue DVI...?

I dunno whether or not to take risk not getting cable cos the local stores around here ARENT cheap and probably WONT have them in
I don't know what to tell you bud. Every card I've seen in the past 3 years has come with an adapter. However, there's no actual brand name listed on that card. It just says nVidia. I know that cards from XFX, EVGA, Leadtek, etc. all package their cards with adapters, but there's no 'guarantee' that the one you've chosen will come with one. If you're that concerned about it, maybe you can find another similar nVidia card from a different manufacturer that lists what comes in the box.

I wouldn't worry about the whole 'digital/analog' thing. Pretty much everything is backwards compatible, so you can use digital cards with analog monitors, and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know what to tell you bud. Every card I've seen in the past 3 years has come with an adapter. However, there's no actual brand name listed on that card. It just says nVidia. I know that cards from XFX, EVGA, Leadtek, etc. all package their cards with adapters, but there's no 'guarantee' that the one you've chosen will come with one. If you're that concerned about it, maybe you can find another similar nVidia card from a different manufacturer that lists what comes in the box.

I wouldn't worry about the whole 'digital/analog' thing. Pretty much everything is backwards compatible, so you can use digital cards with analog monitors, and vice versa.
review on it says its actually an XFX card... i will just try it if not i will order one if there not cheap down the road

thanks for your help by the way...

Is there another PSU you could recommend perhaps £5 cheaper than the £30 ANtec?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I looked all through that e-buyer site, and didn't see any respectable brand PSU's at a lower price than the Antec. I'd tell the guy to work an extra hour of overtime to cover the additional cost. :up:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I ordered all the stuff
got the HiPER 400w....
got rid of cables and have ordered anti-static wristband for £3.30 of eBay
should i get some Thermal Paste? if so is there a particular type??

thanks again

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
You won't actually 'need' thermal paste, since the heatsink that's included with the processor will already have a 'thermal pad' applied from the factory.

If you did need to buy thermal paste, the absolute best stuff you can buy is Arctic Silver 5. It's the only stuff that I use on any of my builds.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You won't actually 'need' thermal paste, since the heatsink that's included with the processor will already have a 'thermal pad' applied from the factory.

If you did need to buy thermal paste, the absolute best stuff you can buy is Arctic Silver 5. It's the only stuff that I use on any of my builds.
thanks Jones I appreciate the help and advice.... will be my 1st build next friday, ive been fixing PCs for ages and replaced all components before but this is my 1st build from scratch up - cant wait... just wished he'd spend a bit more on a SATAII Harddrive cos they definatley speed up loads times compared to IDE...

we are thinking of Overclocking the CPU... what do you recommend there? some have been saying that bought the E4500 that it OC's fine on stock HSF...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
we are thinking of Overclocking the CPU... what do you recommend there? some have been saying that bought the E4500 that it OC's fine on stock HSF...
Overclocking is best done in baby steps. Always make small changes, one change at a time, and test it before making another change. Always write everything down so that you can retrace your steps if you run into problems.

If you've never attempted it before, make sure you do your research on how it's done, and what to expect. Every system will achieve different results, so don't expect exactly the same amount of success as 'the other guy'.

Here's a simple list of things to know when starting to overclock:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/pages/overclock_faq/

Note that the processor you chose is a very good one, and has plenty of power already in it. Overclocking probably won't give you any noticeable advantage on day-to-day use. The real benefits to overclocking come in when running very intense programs, like heavy 3D gaming.

If the main intent of this machine is to game, then you'd probably be far better off to overclock just the video card, since it's easy to do, and doesn't involve messing around in the BIOS. nVidia cards can easily be overclocked using the nTune utility available on nVidia's website.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.