Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the home hub which is provided by BT. Recently i have been downloading my files over night from napster. This goes on for around 3 days and then i cannot view any web pages but i am still downloading my files.

I dont know what this can be? i have to reset the router in order for me to view web pages again.

Could it be down to the DNS servers? Any tips on what i can do? Will a new ADSL+2 router do the trick?

Please help, it is really annoying for me as BT support dont seem to understand me and they rip me off by only saying "we have done a line check and everything is fine" which is BS

Thanks

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Two things to check, first, run the command "ipconfig /flushdns" from a CMD prompt, and second, check your proxy settings in IE or FireFox.

If you are downloading a lot of stuff from Napster, are you able to surf the web when napster is turned off, or your files are done downloading? Your IE might just be timing out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not tried the flushDNS. Could you tell me what this means and does please?

I will look at my proxy settings, anything you can tell me on what settings are recommended.

Also even when napster is turned off, i cannot view the webpages. I even sometimes get a limited or no connectivity message. I have to reboot the router in order for me to view webpages again.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
the ipconfig /flushdns clears out your DNS cache - every time you go to a website, you type it in by name. Windows uses a DNS server to match that name to an IP address (afterall, names are easier to remember than a bunch of numbers!). Windows stores this information in a DNS cache, so the next time you go to a website, it refers to the cache to get to the website.

Clearing the cache will force Windows to get its information from the DNS server.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.