sorry fellas, for the delay.
You need to realise that I'm just an ordinary, non-technical punter; out of necessity, I know how to find & change an IP address, but I'm pretty much bluffing at that stage, never mind beyond. But I can follow clear instructions, in to follow English ('back end', 'front end' ? I guess this means LAN and WAN or visa versa).
Anyway, I have pretty much given up on this; and will probably just go out and buy a combined ADSL Wireless Router. Any recommendations? (I can probably just take my D-Link DI 624+ back for a refund).
It could well just be me being thick / stupid, but I simply can not manage to configure both devices at the same time:
* I have tried changing the IP address of each device, keeping one on 192.168.0.1, but I can never then configure the modem; I can only configure the modem when I strip the D-Link out again;
* In concept, I think I SHOULD be able to continue to use my existing Modem in router mode and, as you mentioned, continue to use it as the DHCP Server; and really just add the router in as a wireless facility;
* I have punched lots & lots of IP numbers in, both LAN and WAN, and have covered many possible combinations;
I realsie that it is probably me that is fault but what 'joe public' really needs is a simple set of instructions that says, for your particular kit, in very clear & specific terms:
1. Do this first;
2. Then this;
3. Change the IP address of KitA to x;
4. Change the IP address of KitB to y;
In theory, I think the modem in 'modem mode' does not have an IP address; it is just a modem. But I have (I think) tried setting the modem to 192.168.0.2 (and other numbers).
Maybe I was close in 'modem mode'; cos then the set wizard should work. The major problem was plugging my BT Internet details ([email protected]
@btinternet.com, ad password) into the Router. These fields appear 'automatically' if I choose the PPPoE option, but the system still will not work. If I choose the 'Dynamic IP Address' option (which I THINK is the one I should choose for BT Broadband?), I can not find anywhere to slot in these settings.
I fear I am maybe just a basketcase and that, to configure this kit, you really need to work with computers or be a real enthusiast. Sadly, I'm neither.
If any one can provide me with a list of instructions, I will pay good money for that. Otherwise, I guess we just give up as a remote effort.