Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I installed Malwarebytes to scan a laptop and found and removed a little under 300 malware infections (not my machine!). I noticed a few things needed reinstalling and I did so promptly and after a successful reboot everything was working normally again. I only mention this because it could very well be the root of this tale (a lot of registry keys were infected (granted only ones were ones related to pieces of utter rubbish that had somehow been installed so I wasn't fussed about removing them outright)).

Between that time and now the same machine has since frozen mid-whatever I was typing and now won't recognize that there's a hard drive in there.

I did various check online and found some people with a similar error here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/479464-0x0000024-error.html and http://www.winvistatips.com/vista-wont-boot-t123535.html

That's the same thing I was getting to begin with after I did a cold boot to escape the system freeze. I checked BIOS settings, I checked the CD (Vista OS one) in another system and various other things - they were all fine.
I also did the Delete after POST to select an OS or do diagnostics and chose to do a diagnostic. It failed a HD one and I rebooted, repeated and pressed F8 for advanced boot options. The machine then gave up loading this stage and went straight through to loading the HD (yes I know it's not supposed to do that).

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mi...346732-blue-screen-stop-error-0x000000f4.html

That's the second BSoD I recieved. If I started the laptop and left it alone for about 20 minutes it got to a black screen, low res, with a white pointer which I could move. Nothing more.

I've changed the boot order various times, disabled and re-enabled various parts of the BIOS (didn't think it would make any difference) and after doing a full diagnostic related to not being able to boot the OS (and still receiving errors about the HD, although I was able to activate it and such through diag).

I rebooted to a message saying that it's unable to locate a boot device. F1 to retry, F2 to go to setup etc...
It also told me to check the HD and reseat it.

I did so; no change.

The catch is, I've gathered the information I need to fix it - but it's only useful to me if I can get the system in enough of a functional state to take advantage of it all.

Since I can't get past the POST anymore I gave up and left it before fiddling around even more to check if there's anything else I can try before I take a hammer to it to make me feel better.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated - I'd rather not have to replace the HD since there's material of sentimental value on it.

Specs:
Intel P Dual CPU T2330 1.6GHz
2GB SDRAM
32 bit Vista Home Premium (eww Home Ed!)
Dell Inspiron 1525
SATA HD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The HD is only about a year old. I will have a go and see if I can set that up aswell - although I have limited access to other machines to test it on so it may be difficult.

Any more ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.