Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yello. So I installed Ubuntu today on a separate drive. The primary slave specifically. When I selected that drive to boot from in the BIOS it failed to boot with no error or anything. I went back and selected the original WinXP drive and it booted Ubuntu.
After looking around at the partitions and what not I've discovered that the XP drive now has an partition of unknown filesystem, though some places including fdisk and Spinrite just label it as "Linux". I can't mount it within Ubuntu and the Ubuntu installer says it's of unknown filesystem. I know I selected the other drive for the boot and the swap. It was the slave, hd1.
I really have no idea what to do now. I'm totally new to Linux and now I'm stuck on a foreign operating system. I don't understand how this can happen and I'd really rather not have to reinstall XP again and lose everything on that drive. I'd only just got back into the swing of things since last time my drive died.
I'm assuming it's my fault and I've just done something stupid but any help with a possibility of recovering it would be appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other thing. If it can be fixed or I end up reinstalling XP, how will I then boot Ubuntu since it only boots from the broken XP drive? I'm guessing maybe it's something like it automatically puts boot info on the primary master so I'd just have to reinstall everything properly with that in mind in that case no?

· Registered
806 Posts
I think what happened was that Ubuntu installed its GRUB (bootloader) on your Primary IDE drive. No big deal. It should have an entry in the GRUB menu to load Windows also. Just arrow down to the Windows entry at the menu and boot Windows that way. If you don't want that, though, you can pop in your Windows disk and use the Recovery Console to reinstall Windows bootloader on the MBR (Master Boot Record) of your Primary IDE drive. At the Recovery Console command line just type in

Code:
fixmbr
After doing that, though, you'll lose the ability to boot Ubuntu. You can reinstall Ubuntu on the secondary IDE drive with the Primary drive disconnected (physically from the IDE connector). Then Ubuntu will install the GRUB on the secondary drive. You'll have to switch boot drives in BIOS whenever you want to go from one OS to the other this way.

Luck!

~Eric

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, thanks. I looked on the grub menu and Windows wasn't there. I edited the lines to point to the Windows partition but that said invalid executable or something. I'll go try the Windows recovery thing.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after doing the fixmbr it said it couldn't load the operating system. So I reinstalled Ubuntu, noticing along the way where I accidentally left the GRUB install drive as hd0 last time, and now Ubuntu won't boot because it apparently can't mount the partition. Don't know if thats anything to do with me not unplugging the primary master as you said. I thought I didn't have to because it'd just tell it to install GRUB on the same drive as Ubuntu. Or is that it? Does GRUB need to be on a separate drive?

· Registered
3,370 Posts
My suggestion,
hook the slave HD as master (only HD on the computer) and install the OS of your choice - then put the other HD on as slave and see if you can recover your stuff - then try and try again to install Linux. In a week this will be so easy you'll be doing it in your sleep!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.