Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
About 6 months ago someone that used to work with my wife helped us network our home computers. We had the 'hub' computer set up in one room, and it is a desktop, my pc is a desktop and we are using a USB broadband internet provider. The USB device is plugged into the desktop 'hub' pc and by using a Linksys router, my wife, son and I were able to access the internet through our network. They both have wifi capabilities on thier laptops and I had the other Linksys on my desktop.
About a month ago we had a storm and the 'hub' pc had a power surge and lost information. We lost our home network. I have since tried to set it up the same as before, and I have also tried setting it up using my pc as the hub, but there has always been a problem. Either the computers can't access the network, or we get them to access the network, but then they can't acces the internet.
Please help, we have tried everything and the person that set it up initially has moved out of state and we do not have any contact info.
thanks,
Don
(with family that REALLY wants back online!)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Make and exact model and hardware version of any other network equipment, like a repeater, a booster, hi-gain antenna, etc.
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
  • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
  • For wired connection issues, have you booted in Safe Mode with Networking to see if that changes the symptoms?
  • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
  • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, I guess I shouldn't have chosed Intermediate, maybe beginner or Entry level. :D
Well, let's start by saying I have a Dynamic energy saver Gigabyte board,
running Window XP Pro 64 bit w/sp3
Intel Quad core 3.8 1033fsb

The router is D-Link Extreme Gigabit Router wieless N, model # DIR-655

The Internet service provider is Verizon and we are using the USB broadband.

When I set up the network, I believe the problem is something to do with the IP adress, subnet mask, default gateway...
I put the same numbers that were in it prior (when it was working correctly).
However, I did not write down the numbers for the DNS primary server, or the alternate DNS server. I don't know if this is where my problem lies.
I don't know what the numbers should be that go in there.

Please help.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
USB Broadband? What's that?

If you don't know the ISP setup values, I'd contact Verizon, they'll be able to supply them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.