Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so long story short. My desktop crashed and i got the blue screen of death. Got a new hardrive and blue screen went away. Reloaded xp install disc and I thought everything was good. However thats the only disc I used. I have a few questions. First I used a ethernet cable to hook up my router and computer but my computer wouldnt recongize it, but green lights were on? Also other laptops are connected wirelessly and works fine. Do i need to install another disc or program to use the internet?

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Okay so long story short. My desktop crashed and i got the blue screen of death. Got a new hardrive and blue screen went away. Reloaded xp install disc and I thought everything was good. However thats the only disc I used. I have a few questions. First I used a ethernet cable to hook up my router and computer but my computer wouldnt recongize it, but green lights were on? Also other laptops are connected wirelessly and works fine. Do i need to install another disc or program to use the internet?

Your new installation probably lacks the driver the ethernet connection needs to talk to the router. The light are on because there's power to the connection.. Look in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager to see what has a yellow mark beside it - you may find ethernet or Network Adapters isn't the only one.

Post back with make and model of the computer and someone will be able to point you to the right driver. You can download the ethernet driver on to your laptop and transfer it but once you're connected to the Net, Windows Update will help you find any others you lack.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.