Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Retired Administrator
Joined
·
103,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was lovely with my boot.ini file, I have XP Home, XP Pro, Longhorn and Windows 98SE. All on one hard drive, different partitions, of course.

I installed Windows ME ( :rolleyes: not sure what gave me that brilliant idea) --- and now my boot menu is messed up. It initially eliminated 98 and put Windows ME there, so I added 98 back, but if I choose 98 it still goes to ME, which is on an external hard drive. I installed ME by booting with a 98 bootdisk with cdrom support, and installed ME to the external drive.

Is there any way of getting my 98 boot option back? 98 is still on my main drive, I can see it, I just can't boot to it :mad:
 

·
Registered
LENOVO t43p AMOUNGST OTHERS
Joined
·
12,970 Posts
Post your boot.ini and I'll advise.
How is the external drive attached????? How were the disks configured when you installed ME?
I have Dos7Win3.11, 98SE, ME, 2k, XP and a data partition, all on the same disk. I can choose any 4 from 6 to be visible at any one time(in any order) and can boot from any OS - all configurable at Boot time. I use http://www.symon.ru which is also an extremely powerful disk editor, partition manager, and the best of all, it will recover partitions from a disk when the partition tables are f...mucked up.
 

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
Joined
·
19,786 Posts
Hey AcaCandy, I see you had also gotten a MVP award. Do you still have access to the MS online ecompany store. If you do, why not try out Virtual PC. You can get it for $20 on the company store website. I used part of my $150 they gave me to buy that. Then you could run multiple OS's at once.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
43,965 Posts
AcaCandy asking for help?? :D The world is coming to an end! LOL Joking :D

I think it has something to do with the (disk0)(partition0) etc. Check to see if your 98 and ME has the same "numbers". You should be able to see it in the Startup and Recovery section in System (if not in the boot.ini section in msconfig)

lwd - I have VirtualPC. How do I use it? I would like to have Win98 on there.
 

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
Joined
·
19,786 Posts
I just got it in the mail the other day from the company store. It is version 2004. So I have not tried it out yet. On my list of things to do. I have used Vmware in the past, which works quite well.
 

·
Retired Administrator
Joined
·
103,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LwdSquashman said:
Hey AcaCandy, I see you had also gotten a MVP award. Do you still have access to the MS online ecompany store. If you do, why not try out Virtual PC. You can get it for $20 on the company store website. I used part of my $150 they gave me to buy that. Then you could run multiple OS's at once.
Yes, I do have that, and I can still get to 98 via VPC, albeit a tad slow if you know what I mean. I'd still like my multi-boot option instead ;) BTW, a copy of VPC came with all the zillion cds they sent you, if you got MSDN. I think it came with TechNet too, as I was chatting with Flrman1 yesterday and he mentioned receiving it.
 

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
Joined
·
19,786 Posts
I thought the stuff we get from MSDN was time limited. I actually have never tried any of the software I got from MSDN. I have never even logged into the website to get the cd keys. Where do I go to do that?
 

·
Retired Administrator
Joined
·
103,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DaveBurnett said:
Post your boot.ini and I'll advise.
How is the external drive attached????? How were the disks configured when you installed ME?
I have Dos7Win3.11, 98SE, ME, 2k, XP and a data partition, all on the same disk. I can choose any 4 from 6 to be visible at any one time(in any order) and can boot from any OS - all configurable at Boot time. I use http://www.symon.ru which is also an extremely powerful disk editor, partition manager, and the best of all, it will recover partitions from a disk when the partition tables are f...mucked up.
The external drive is USB 2, connected currently to a USB 1.1 hub, too lazy to deal with that at the moment. The disks are and were configured, main drive split into 4 partitions, external split into two partitions, with the first partition being storage, and the second partition is where I installed ME.

My current .ini (after editing it to what I THOUGHT would give me access again) although I do have a couple of back up copies too.

[Boot Loader]
timeout=10
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Longhorn" /FASTDETECT /DETECTHAL
c:\BOOTSECT.DOS="Previous Operating System"
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

I removed the C:\="Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition" line which was where the 98 line is now.
 

·
Registered
LENOVO t43p AMOUNGST OTHERS
Joined
·
12,970 Posts
Acacandy, where's that boot.ini - to get back on subject :)

Edit, whoops belay that.
What happens if you leave the external drive disconnected?
Are you absolutely sure the ME went on to the external drive and did not overwrite the 98?
Boot into XP and check the files.
 

·
Retired Administrator
Joined
·
103,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LwdSquashman said:
I thought the stuff we get from MSDN was time limited. I actually have never tried any of the software I got from MSDN. I have never even logged into the website to get the cd keys. Where do I go to do that?
Nope, I'm running XP Pro from it. You have 60 days to activate it, if you wait until near the end to be sure you don't need to reinstall it, and then put on SP2, it gives you 60 more days to activate. Go to the MSDN subscription area for product keys. I just did a print out and keep it in a file folder.
 

·
Retired Administrator
Joined
·
103,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DaveBurnett said:
Acacandy, where's that boot.ini - to get back on subject :)

Edit, whoops belay that.
What happens if you leave the external drive disconnected?
Are you absolutely sure the ME went on to the external drive and did not overwrite the 98?
Boot into XP and check the files.
Yep, checked that....am POSTIVE ME is on the external drive. If I disconnect it, I get the sweet message that it can't find the c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd or whatever it says.

BTW, I'm in XP now, have I mentioned lately that I HATE ME :mad:
 

·
Retired Administrator
Joined
·
103,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I tend to agree. I only installed it so I could attempt to help folks here who insist on using it :rolleyes:

Now, where did Dave run off to? :(
 
1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top