Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to Bootdisk. and downloaded the file that makes a bootdisk to a USB device. I cannot get it to work. I need help. What I want to do is boot a Dell GX270 to a point that I can ghost images to it using a USB hard drive. I have a laptop hard drive in a case using a USB wire.
USB is not an option in the bios... however, I thought that using bootdisk.com's file, I can boot using firewire or USB. I used their DAT bat file that creates a boot disk, however I do not think the correct driver is loaded to use a USB hard drive.
I thought you could bypass the bios using this utility?
Thank you for your help
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Ghost has some USB support, not sure how extensive it is but I would be giving that a try first. You would have to add the USB support when making the Ghost disk.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Which file did you download?

As Triple6 mentioned, Ghost and other imaging programs have startup floppies or bootable CD's that contain USB DOS drivers for accessing external USB drives.

But using one to return an image to the hard drive and using one to boot are different things. I would imagine, but don't know, that you could boot using a boot manager like Boot Magic that is installed on the hard drive once the USB drivers are loaded and you have the external device mounted. But a boot manager like GAG that installs on the first sector of the hard drive would not be able to "see" the external drive since it operates before any drivers are loaded.

What OS is on the external drive?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hard drive is just a storage unit. no OS on it.
The file I downloaded was the USB DAT file that creates a bootable floppy to use either USB or Firewire.
I have not looked at Ghost as yet...but will do that. My goal is to have images on the hard drive, boot using a dos boot disk and access the images on the USB hard drive to image new machines.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using Ghost Boot Wizzard I did make a boot disk that does see a memory stick.. however will not see a USB hard drive. I notice in both cases... when it sees the USB device.. as a C drive,, it does not see the hard drive in the PC itself.. how come?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
That is strange. My Acronis boot disks mount the NTFS volumes so that they are seen in DOS.

I have never used Ghost. Is it the newest version (only new releases of these ghosting programs support imaging from external drives) and does the Norton documentation say it is possible?

Just a thought---maybe using a Win98 boot disk to fdisk and remove the partitions from your (real) C: drive might make it visible to the Norton startup?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
I could do that. Trouble is that the image is in a different format in Acronis than it is from Ghost so the disk wouldn't help you return the image to C:.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.