Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I went to boot up my PC this morning (Dell Dimension 9100) and received the BSOD with an error message reading "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". I tried to restarting a few times, booting in safe mode, booting with last known good settings; all resulted in the same failure.

Following several online resources, I next tried to run Windows Recovery Console off of my XP CD. It took a while for the console to load up and when it finally did, I ran "chkdsk /r" in the prompt. I received the following:
"CHKDSK is checking the volume...
CHKDSK is performing additonal checking or recovery.
0% completed."

I left my computer for an hour to run the check and when I came back it was still at 0% and had shown no change. My hard drive is the default 160GB SATA drive that came with the computer.

Any help is appreciate, thanks!

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
I would be testing the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostics. What brand is the hard drive? You may have to open it up and read the label off the drive itself.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hmmm interesting, I just got a Dell comp (not sure on model) that had the same issue. I came with a Seagate HDD so I ran the SeaTools program and it came up with multiple errors. I tried to repair ran the scan again & it had errors yet again.

If the computer was not from dell with 1 year warranty the harddrive would of had 5 year warranty but I cannot claim it only dell can & they wont lol oh well.

Ordered a new WD Black 640GB for my client.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, model number ST3160023AS. I downloaded and ran SeaTools and thankfully it was able to repair it.

I'm up and running now, thanks!

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
I would be suspicious of the drive, it could be just a few isolated bad sectors or it could develop into a worse problem. Make sure you are backing up your important data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.