Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goal: File recovery off the NTFS drive the the OS installation is on!

Problem Description:
BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH IN XP
======================
STOP: Windows can not load the registry file:
systemsroot\system32\config\SOFTWARE

This file may be corrupt or missing.
======================

Same problem no matter how i boot (safe mode, safe mode with networking, command prompt, last known good configuration, etc etc)

What i have tried so far:
1. replaced
systemsroot\system32\config\SOFTWARE
with original from
systemsroot\repair\software

2. Bought a new stick of ram (have read several times that this could be a problem that is directly related to having a bad chip of ram)

3. Attempted a reinstall over the older version of xp (I read that this could be done, i tried it, but was met with 100's of errors)

4. Tried booting probably over 150x's in the last 10 hours.

Cant remember anything else that i have tried.

Basically, i have a huge problem in that i have graphic files that need to be printed this week, and i need to retrieve them off this harddrive (NTFS w/ XP install on it). I do not care about necessarily saving the current OS on the harddrive, im just looking to get the files off the drive and transfer them to another drive on my computer. The other drive is currently FAT32, but i can convert if it would help somehow..... i have no idea if there is anyway to get access to the full contents of the NTFS hd and be able to transfer it to a FAT32 drive from dos (which doesnt exist under xp?) ..... anyhelp would be greatly appreciated...

Please email [email protected]
Or reply to this message board.

Thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well not actually, just found a work around... with installing the os another another drive, and then taking ownership of the files on the older drive with xp on them .. problem solved..

erik

·
Registered
80 Posts
:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well , i ended up installing on a different harddrive, and it locked up again and crashed. Same blue screen, unable to boot by any method.. im starting to think its either my ram or a problem with my amd650 .. driving me nuts.. i heard there is a sp1 out that has something about a amd k7 fix? anyone know about this ..

thanks

erik

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.