Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Go into your bios and make your cdrom drive bootable by selecting boot from hdd then cdrom then floppy. Put the cd in the drive and start your machine

If your computer has a blank hard disk or your current operating system isn't supported, you need to start your computer by using the Windows XP Home Edition CD. Some newer CD-ROM drives can start the installation from the CD and automatically run the Windows XP Setup Wizard.
info here HERE

·
Registered
80 Posts
using a win98 boot disk will work,

bootdisk.com do them

cant say ive looked in XP, but i would think the good old "c:\format /s" still works.;)

·
Super Moderator
46,561 Posts
If you use the “/s” switch you will be copying win98 system files to your hd. You can use a win98 boot disk [or an ME boot disk] however I would not use the /s switch just use format c: without the switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like many of us are trying to dump ME (what a pig!) for a clean install of XP.

I also have a full version only. Upgrade not an option for me.

The most common suggestion in these threads is to use a 98 or ME boot disk (have both), format drive, and then clean install from the XP CD, BUT........

when I run the boot disk, the computer ID's the CD drive. I can see the XP files (using -DIR-). But when I try to execute the setup command I get the message "can't run this program in DOS"

So.....how do I install XP after I reformat the hard drive?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Soccer doc, I had to set my bios to boot from CD-rom (I had turned this off before I don't know why), then I started computer with the XP disk in there and it installed it fine. Did you try starting the computer with the CD in the drive?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.