Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using W98 SE. About 9 times out of 10, when I try to restart or shut down, I get either the blue screen or it just hangs at "Windows is Shutting Down". I have to actually power down the PC to reboot. Typically I am trying to reboot, as windows seems to be "acting up" in one way or another. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'd disable your anti-virus software. It's probably causing the BSODs and freezing.

It's probably Norton, isn't it?

Hi Candy ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, not using Norton. Using Grisoft AVG Free Version. Does this patch come automatically with Windows update? I have been very diligent about getting all the updates.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Try disabling Grisoft AVG and see if you keep getting the errors.

Candy: Just spent an hour troubleshooting a Toshiba laptop running XP Home; Constantly getting blue-screens and shutting itself down; Guess what fixed it? ;) Yup, bye-bye Norton.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
See my link above ;)

Columbo, yes, I agree that Norton, or McAfee for that matter, can cause the machine to hang at shutdown. Sometimes there are other workarounds like disabling shutdown and startup music too :D

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Does the pretty blue screen actually say anything?

Also, disable startup music and shutdown music.

Post the contents of your autoexec.bat and config.sys files too.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
And try updating your video driver as well.

To find out what kind of display adapter you're using, just right-click on "My Computer", then choose "Properties" then click on the "Device Manager" tab, and click on the plus-sign next to "Display Adapter".

Then go to the manufacturer's website, and download the latest driver (or see if there is a patch).

This might solve the blue-screens as well.

Columbo

P.S - Candy, a blue-screen is NEVER pretty. :eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
video driver recently updated
no startup or shut down music
Can't remember what blue screen says, but I think is was some kind of kernal violation

Autoexec.bat--------------------
@C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\bootup.exe
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
LH C:\WINDOWS\AU30DOS.COM
@ECHO OFF
REM [Header]

REM [CD-ROM Drive]
REM C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

mode con codepage prepare=((850) c:\windows\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
@SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\CANONC~1\PDELUXE\ADOBEC~1

Config.sys-------------------

REM [Header]

REM [CD-ROM Drive]
REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe
device=c:\windows\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=032,850,c:\windows\COMMAND\country.sys

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Just for fun, start, run, type msconfig and hit enter, uncheck the process autoexec.bat and config.sys save changes and restart.

Next time, write the pretty little message down ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I turned off autoexec.bat and config.sys from msconfig and re-booted. I'll let you know what happens.

Here is the blue scrren message -

"Fatal exception OE occurred at 0028:C004E81F in VXD VCACHE (01) + 000005F7. The curren application will be terminated."
--------------
Thanks for sticking with me on this. Your help is appreciated!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had a similar problem that others had resolved by turning startup/shutdown sounds off. Mine was also not on. Just for the heck of it I turned them on - rebooted - turned them off - rebooted = problem gone. A stab in the dark but it worked for me. Good Luck

P.S. That blue screen message can turn up if you've got an incompatability problem with memory sticks. Since you haven't changed or added any sticks it's doubtful to be the cause.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I turned them off and now I only get the blue screen after I have been running the pc for a while. If I try and reboot shortly after rebooting, it works just fine.

Candy - What did I loose by turning off autoexe.bat & config.sys

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Probably dos sound, but if you don't play games in dos, you shouldn't miss that, and it looked like you had some country keyboard selected and want the special characters availabe in dos mode, I use a country keyboard too, but turn it on via control panel, however, usually 98 doesn't need anything there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.