Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

At my workplace we have recently upgraded seavel computers with a second ram stick. I had problems with this machine since then. It is a dell dimension 1100 with two sockets for ram, one of which contained a 256mb stick. I got the dell approved 1gb stick, but to install it I had to switch the orginal stick into the spare slot and place the new ram in the first slot, as the computer would not start correctly anyother way (I tried several combeinations before finding this one). I did not have this issue with 2 other identical machines.

Since then, I've been getting blue screens of death seemingly at random. It gives one of 4 or 5 error messages and has to be restarted. It can do this several times a day or work normally for weeks. It also seems to favor a couple of error messages over the others.

I will post more errors as I'm able to collect them.

STOP 0x0000000D1
(0X80000161, 0X000000002, 0X00000000, 0X61890E59)
tcpip.sys address b1890E59 base b1885000 datestamp 485699ad

I've looked into this and the main causes seem to be bad ram and network drivers. I ran memtest and didn't find anything.

STOP 0x00000008E
(0xC0000005, 0XBF031AE5, 0XB0AC117C, 0X0000000)
ialmdnt5.dll

This seems to be caused by a video card.

Users have reported the crashes as occouring while trying to print to a network printer and I have personally noticed that using firefox 2 seems to induce crashes with dramatically higher frequency. The internet connection is handled though our network.

I have also looked though device manager and can find no errors reported (no surprise). My next step will be to remove the new ram and replace the orginal in the slot I found it in. I hope that will show me if the ram or the slot is defective.

I would appricate someone with more knowledge than me looking though this and making suggestions. I'm operating largely on guesswork.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My first thought is that you have a bad stick of RAM. Try this:

Remove the 256MB stick and run with just the 1GB and see what happens.
If your problems continue, put the 256MB back and remove the 1GB and check the system out. If all is well, then you have identified the culprit and will need to replace the 1GB stick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried taking out the 1gb stick and installing it on an identical machine before you posted. I'm going to wait a week and see if I have a similiar problem with that machine. I figure if it works properly there, the problem is with the memory slot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.