Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few days i have suffered over 30 blue screens of death. I have done MANY steps to fixing my laptop which is a Compaq Evo N610C which has a Toshiba hard drive(FYI).

I have first of all already done a hard drive diagnostic and did two tests, Quick and advanced, both of them came up completed and working fine.

I have also done a repair install with my windows Xp (Student Edition) disc, which even though was 100% completed and successfully installed, it did not help my problem. So, i went to the OE disc's recovery console and did the "chkdsk /r and /p" but both of them give me the message "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems" the second i type it in (0%).

I have run out of ideas on what to do..i realy don't want to wipe my HD.

Also, i can't get to my desktop. My computer goes to the "OS/2 Warp" startup screen and stays there for like 5 minutes and then flashes a split second blue screen and reboots, then it goes back to the Compaq startup screen and goes to a black screen that says "Non-system disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready"..but..theres NOTHING inside any disk drive at all not even a wireless card or plug is connected.

Please, help me.

Also, i have already posted this thread in the Hard drive forum, i didn't know if this was an XP problem or a hard drive problem

·
Registered
644 Posts
No one likes to do a re-install.. but I think that may be your best option if you have un-recoverable problems.. you should be able to install the drive in another pc as a slave and get your files, pictures, documents etc. off it before formatting. Do you have your Windows XP cd still?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
644 Posts
My apologies.. I didn't realize this was a laptop so putting ths HD as a slave in another computer isn't an option without the necessary equipment. In working with computers nothing is completely sure.. But as it stands you can't access it.. I don't think the hard drive itself is bad and you said you tested it with diagnostics.. I think the problem is Windows but a re-format is the best option. You might wait a day or 2 and see if anyone else has suggestions. As for the one you are looking at yes, it is a good one, but fairly expensive. Do you really need 160 gigs on a laptop? I would bet you can get a 60 gig for half that.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. They are numbered by date.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select "Send to (folder name).zip"
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not gone...but @[email protected] first i need someone to tell me how im supposed to ge to the desktop...uhh

"Also, i can't get to my desktop. My computer goes to the "OS/2 Warp" startup screen and stays there for like 5 minutes and then flashes a split second blue screen and reboots, then it goes back to the Compaq startup screen and goes to a black screen that says "Non-system disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready"..but..theres NOTHING inside any disk drive at all not even a wireless card or plug is connected."

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
A "non system disk" error usually means the drive is not being seen or the partition table is corrupt. Can you load the recovery console using an XP CD? You can try running such options as "fixboot" and "fixmbr"

http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm

If a Laptop, consult your vendors manual instructions on how to remove and replace the drive -- just remove and reseat it.

I'm assuming you can't get to the desktop by Safe Mode either.

If you are getting Blue Screens report the error parameters called the "bugcheck" -- see attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One minute...I am able to do Chk Dsk stuff..right now its 66% on the /r so when its done I'm going to do a /f. When i /p it said there was one or more errors on the volume.:up: :down:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*sigh*...nvm I have done it twice. Both time at around 50~70% it says that there is an unrecoveable error. I even tried to do another repair install bu it won't let me it says there is some error :( PLEASE help, i still am unable to get tot he desktop and it falshes a blue screen that i cant read. Also, i did an mbr and fixboot..but..i don't see what it really did.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
I don't know what is wrong if your hard drive diagnostics don't show any issues.

Chkdsk should lock out a bad sector, at least allowing you to do a repair reinstall.

There is possibly one avenue for you to at least recover files. Assume you need a new disk drive -- buy one.

But you can "load" the old drive and possibly read and recover files by getting a USB ATA adapter and connecting the laptop drive to it on a desktop.

You would be looking for something like this:

http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adapt.php

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
o_O this is weird. I was reisntalling Windows or doing repair installion or soemthing and i got a blue screen...

Heres the stop

0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x82077DA0, 0x82077F14, 0x805FA7A8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.