Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was uploading songs from my CDs to iTunes and all of a sudden my computer froze and Control alt delete did not work. Soooo I pushed the power button and when the computer came back on it was acting weird and starting up slowly. Finally a screen came on that said "Problem caused by file partmgr.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" and some more stuff. I can open it in safe mode (though it takes like 10 min to start up). Any help??
Thanks
Tara

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
"nonpaged area" usually means ram and not the hard drive -- but the driver that is crashing also suggests there could be corruption of the disk itself.

I'd certainly backup now before things get worse. I'd also run a ram test (you can try removing modules if you have more than one) and run chkdsk on the drive. Drive diagnostic utilities are also available from disk drive vendors -- and it might be worthwhile to run one. If it fails and the drive is under warranty -- that's good enough to get it replaced.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.