Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm trying to repair a friend's computer that keeps blue screening. It mentions something about I should see if I can free up some harddrive space (I had heard this computer in the recent weeks had lost a significant amount of freespace). It then mentions the possibility of bad video driver or maybe other recently installed components. I can't see any newly installed components. I can use the "repair your computer" option though, that runs. All others blue screen after you type in the password to the user account. The stop error is:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000006, 0x82083673, 0x98479A5C, 0x00000000)

It is a Dell Inspiron 1521

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you are running Windows XP:

3) Run the chkdsk utility on your system drive

In my experience, if you receive a blue screen error on boot, and you have NOT recently added new hardware, have NOT changed software configuration and have NOT physically moved the PC recently, then there is an excellent chance that the problem is being caused by hard drive corruption. This can often be fixed by running the chkdsk utility.
How to run chkdsk:
1) Boot off the Windows XP Installation CD. ( You may need to change some BIOS settings to force the PC to boot from you CD-ROM drive rather than your hard drive )
2) When prompted, press ‘R’ to repair your Windows XP installation using the recovery console.
3) You will be asked to type in the administrator password (just press ENTER if this is blank).
4) Once the recovery console has finished loading, type the command: CHKDSK /r and then press ENTER.

Chkdsk will then scan your hard drive for errors and repair any that it finds. Once it has completed, eject your XP CD from the drive, and type EXIT to close the recovery console and reboot your PC.
If chkdsk has fixed your problem then Windows should boot up correctly.

If you are running Vista, please let me know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Download and install the free edition of WhoCrashed
Link: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Launch the application and click the analyze button and it will analyze the crash dumps created from the Blue Screens. Then Scroll down to the Analysis section and you can work out what driver (if any - it COULD be a hardware error) is causing the problems. If you are having a hard time figuring out the information listed in the analysis section just post the results here and I'll help you.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
From www.aumha.org

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn't catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade)

Run Dell's diags
Run Vista's memory diag

strip the computer down to:
mouse, monitor, keyboard, power supply
cpu, motherboard, ram
HDD

RF123

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I've been away for some time I will try to get to these within the week... I'm taking a short couple day vacation soon. The computer is running Windows Vista Home Basic and I'm trying to obtain the CDs from the user to attempt a repair from them.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
A little more information.
http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid192_gci1276025,00.html
Run "Chkdsk -f -r" regularly to fix file system problems that may appear because of faulty hardware, power failures, or software errors. Schedule downtime to reboot the computer and allow Autochk to resolve problems on boot and system volumes. Regularly review the Chkdsk output and the event log to identify problems that Chkdsk cannot fix.
A starting place.
http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid192_gci1276024,00.html

Best of success.

RF123

·
Registered
940 Posts
Check disk won't fix sectors. It will try to files in those sectors, move files to sectors believed to be good; then mark bad sectors as bad so future files are not placed in the bad sectors.

Were this my lappy, which it is not, I would replace the HDD.

RF123
Well in the near future you will going change that damaged Hard drive. So If I were you I will start on backing things up then start on saving up for a new driver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.