Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed windows xp sp3 on my HP a1730n. After painstakingly finding all the necessary drivers I needed, I started putting my data back on my pc via a WD My Passport external Hard drive. Now I cant remember exactly when, but sometime after I plugged it in and started using it, my computer froze and gave me the following blue screen of death.
------------------------------------------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
0XC05CF340, 0XC0000185, 0XB9E605CD, 0X5C8C6860

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps: Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable any new hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information.
*** STOP:0x0000007A (0xc05CF2D0, 0xC0000185, 0xB9E5AA35, 0x6F8F2860)

*** Ntfs.sys - Address B9E5AA35 base at B9E0D000, Datestamp 480256e5

Beginning dump of physical memory
------------------------------------------

Once this happens there is no turning back, a hard shut down or restart is required.
The only things that I installed on my computer before this happened was the chipset for my motherboard, the drivers for my video card, sound card, ethernet, and mouse and keyboard. Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, CPUID CPU-Z 1.56, and AVG 2011 free edition. Also tried installing a driver update for Lightscribe, but I could not get it to install properly.
After having some problems with AVG and figuring out how to finally get it off my computer, I switch over to Avast.
The blue screen error continued to haunt me during my quest to remove AVG, randomly deciding to pop up. It even happened once during restarting my computer. Then after I got Avast up and running smoothly, the real horror began.
Almost every single time I went to transfer something off the WD My Passport hard drive, it was blue screen city. However, I noticed that it didn't have a problem transferring a few files at a time. I was able to transfer entire folders of files, as long as I would only do them a few at a time. Throughout this process I would still sometimes randomly get a visit from my blue little friend, either because I tried copying too many files at a time, or for no reason at all. After realizing that this was going to take an insane amount of time to get all my data back on my pc, I started to put more effort into finding a fix. I couldnt find anyone that was dealing with my exact same problem on the net, so I tried thinking of a way to fix it myself. I figured that maybe because I wasn't following through with the new software wizard whenever I plugged in the hard drive, that this might be the cause of the problem. So I hooked my computer back up to the net and installed the software for it that windows automatically finds with the Wizard, then tried transferring a large folder...and it worked! Very happily, I declared my problem solved, because it never let me do this before. However...I was wrong. After awhile it started again, even happening a lot when I wasn't even doing any type of transfer, or even had the hard drive plugged in.

Some things to note are that even though everything points to this being some sort of malfunction with the way my pc is interacting with this portable hard drive, I really don't know if that's the case due to the fact that it doesn't only happen when I'm using the hard drive, and has in fact recently done it quite a bit even when its not plugged in. Also, the numbers I provided in the error message are not always the same, and sometimes the "*** Ntfs.sys - Address B9E5AA35 base at B9E0D000, Datestamp 480256e5" part isnt always there, in case that matters.

So after sitting here for hours trying to find a solution...I finally wrote down the exact error message and came to you guys. You are my last hope on this earth...please, help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a forum off a google search where someone was sharing links to the said drivers. All of the links were to legit websites so I knew that what I was getting was legit.

Would it be helpful if I tried to track down the exact place I found the links?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If by changed anything you mean on the insides of it, no. I have never installed new hardware on this computer its all original.

Yep...HP has no support for it....for XP :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its a 305234 MB hard drive with 1982 Mb of RAM.

And by sticks do you mean sticks of RAM? Or memory sticks that im using to get my data back on my computer? I think it has 2 sticks of RAM.

It came equipped with Windows Vista.... :( and zero recovery discs

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
How old is the Hard drive?

Try this click Start>>Run type cmd click Ok.

In the Command Prompt type chkdsk /r click Enter Note there is a space between chkdsk and /r

You will be asked if you want a check disk to run on next startup click Y and then press Enter

Restart your PC

It will run in 5 sections please do not interrupt it let it finish.

If Run command not there

Right click on an empty place on the bottom task bar and choose Properties then Start Menu tab.....then Customize button
.look down the list for Run Command and put a check beside it
Click OK

Now when you click the Start button you should have run in the menu

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well....I started that as soon as you told me to.....and it JUST now got done.....is that a bad thing that it took that long?

Anyways....all it said was....disk check complete, the disk is clean.

yea, thats it!

:(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just found the links that I got my drivers from in case you still wanted to know.

Looks like I was wrong about them all leading to legit websites, the Lan one is just a link to the exe =/

Nvidia Chipset software
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_8.26_11.09.html

Marvell Lan
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL15134/ob-40490-1/sp26744.exe

Nvidia graphics driver
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_182.50_whql.html

Realtek Audio
http://tinyurl.com/pfw3c

.Net Framework
http://tinyurl.com/758p8

HP Multimedia Keyboard/Mouse Drivers
http://tinyurl.com/yubdjs

·
Registered
143 Posts
Download WhoCrashed from this link http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It may want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
System Information (local)
computer name: 6354ADBD56
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ AMD586, level: 15
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2078781440 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2060505088

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion
Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.