Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a brand new Dell Studio XPS 16, literally 2 weeks old. I get upset with all of the pre-installed software, so I downloaded Revo-Uninstaller and took off a bunch of programs. I ran into some trouble getting off some of the Dell Data Storage program, and various other Dell programs, and I think I may have deleted some critical files using Revo. The day after I took off all that "bundled" software, I removed my Sony USB Memory Stick, and got the BSOD. I thought initially that it was a compabilty issue with my Memory Stick. Then I started getting it when my computer would return from sleep or hibernation. Everytime I opened the lid, or woke the computer, I would get the BSOD. I have tried some of the basic stuff (check disk, sfc scan) but haven't gotten anywhere. It seems like I am getting them more frequently now. I am doing an Avast scan now, and I plan on doing a system repair if I need to, but is there anything else I should try? I have attached a snapshot of my desktop, after I ran the Blue Screen View program from technibble.com. The JPEG attached is the results I got. I also have added a debugger tool from Microsoft, and am awaiting some results on that. Is there anybody who can take a look at my Blue Screen View log and give me any suggestion? I appreciate all the help I can get :up:.

Thank You!

·
Deceased
3,850 Posts
hi this is your error code
0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

0x1000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Essentially the same error as 0x7E above.

curtesy of http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

i think you should run the repair just my opinion

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
Boot f12
do dell diagnostics
You will be surprised how often
the ram is bad on these dells
Also you can check your other hardware as well.
If your hardware is good
I would do the factory recovery...being you only have 2 weeks of time invested in the machine..
I can do a factory restore on my little inspiron......and set up my internet in less that 19 minutes.

Boot f8
repair computer
dell factory image

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much to both of you. I have tried a system repair, but I am sure you both know that Vista's system repair option sucks, and it says it came up clean. I also tried a system restore, and the computer doesn't even open the restore prompt for some reason or another. The last thing I wanted to do was a full recovery to factory settings. It's a pain in the butt, especially backing up everything. I am going to try and put on Service Pack 2 to see if that helps. I have a 64-bit version of Vista, so if you have any more tips for me I would greatly appreciate them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aka bret, i ran a diag and it came back clean. I have new 4 GB of DDR3 RAM. And surprisingly, I already have used 300 of my 500GB HD, mostly data from my last computer though. I am going to get on the horn with dell tomorrow. In the meantime, I am DLing Service Pack 2 for my copy of Vista, which is 64-bit, as that could hopefully help. If you guys have any other suggestions i'd appreciate it.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
I understand what you mean about having to put all your files back on,
I always do a factory recovery within the first few days of getting a machine,,,,am paranoid it may not work lol,
Did you try the dell diagnostics?
failing ram cam mimmick alot of problems....tons of dells out with questionable ram out there now....I went through 2 sets of sticks in less than a year.A friend of mines failed in a few weeks....his brothers ram went bad on his dell in a few weeks.
I thought I had spyware,,as my anitvirus kept shutting down,,,then a couple services would shut down.
I would reformat....same thing in 3 days..I kept thinking i was getting a bad download somewhere.

My friends unit kept on showing errors with any cd used...ran diagnostics..ram was bad...new ram fixed it.
On his brothers,,was getting various errors.,,,couldnt open apps and stuff...switch back to basic mode...folders missing would have to refresh a couple times

It is just always worth checking on the dells lately.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice AKA Brett, i definitely will take care to check on that monthly. As it turns out, I removed the Dell Dock program that comes installed in my computer, and downloaded and installed Vista Service Pack 2. After those changes, all my blue screen woes disappeared.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.