Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if there is a way to block one computer in the house from using the internet. I have one desktop and 3 laptop. I also have a dsl router that have 4 ethernet port and wireless. All are able to get on but I want to block a laptop. I've already block the laptop's mac address so it can't get on wireless but that laptop could still get on with the ethernet. I already know that there is a way by going to the control panel and changing the default gateway but someone smart would know how to undo that. Is there some other choices?

Sorry I don't know too much about computers.

·
Super Moderator
74,189 Posts
Have you checked if the router has any internet access filtering for computers using both wired and wireless connections?

Blocking a particular MAC address may only give you short term success. Depending on the network hardware used in a given computer, it may be possible for a user to change the MAC address to what ever they want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea if the router has any internet access filtering. What is that and how do I find it?

And about the MAC address, how is that person going to change it without knowing the password to change the configuration on the I.P. address site?

·
Super Moderator
74,189 Posts
I have no idea if the router has any internet access filtering. What is that and how do I find it?
It might be rather difficult for anyone here to assist you if you do not tell us the exact brand, model number, and in some cases hardware version number of your router.

And about the MAC address, how is that person going to change it without knowing the password to change the configuration on the I.P. address site?
If the owner of the laptop figures out or guesses that you have the router set to block specific MAC addresses rather than only allowing specific MAC addresses to connect to the Internet, they would only need to change their laptop's wireless MAC address to anything they want and it would no longer be blocked by the router.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brand is a Westel Versalink 327w. I hope that would help.

And about the MAC thing again. I think that person shouldn't be able to get back on because I set the MAC thing to only allow the pc/laptop that I allowed. I inputed all the MAC address from all the other pc/laptop except that laptop I'm trying to prevent from getting on the internet. So I think the only way for that person to get back on is if I put their MAC address to the list that are allowed.

·
Super Moderator
74,189 Posts
I found a PDF file of User Manual for the Westell 327w and that unit does not seem to include any type of Internet access filtering. It only seems to allow MAC filtering for the wireless connection as you had mentioned. There may not be any way on your particular hardware to restrict Internet access for computers connected via the LAN ports.

Your original comment of "I've already block the laptop's mac address" made it sound to me like you were blocking specific addresses rather than only allowing certain addresses.

·
Super Moderator
74,189 Posts
Talk to your ISP to see if they offer a different modem/router that does support MAC filtering access to the Internet. If they do not offer such a product, the only suggestion I can make would be lock away the current unit in a location that unauthorized people can not access.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.