Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to boot my PC for sometime and have tried 101 things to get it to work. Here is my current situation and I hope someone here may have come across this and be able to shine light onto the situation.

Without any boot media present I am getting the following:
The Computer is loading past "Intro" screen and then prompting me to add a boot media, and it is giving me three distinct, evenly spaced beeps in quick succession.

After I add the Hard drive and connect everything up I am getting to the same point but instead of going on to load I am getting a blinking cursor and nothing more happens, and again the 3 beeps.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Can you tell us a couple things;
1. The make and model of the PC and how old is it, most important the BIOS manufacturer. You should see someting like AMI BIOS or Award BIOS at start up on the screen.
2. Are the beeps 3 long even beeps or three short even beeps?
3. What exactly do you mean by
Without any boot media present
Are you purposely removing the drive or what?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1)It is a American Megatrends V02.53, 2006
2)The beeps are short even beeps,
3)Without a HDD, which I have removed as I try and pinpoint what is wrong with the PC, I think I have ruled out GPU & Mobo, but RAM seems the most likely?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh so my suspicions where right... any idea what could have caused it to go?
It's not been maltreated and the core temperature is well below 40... it's only 10 months old so I could still claim it on Warranty.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I should mention that that is the most likely but it still could be the motherboard. You didn't say the age of the system but a long shot may be the CMOS battery too.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Typing at the same time. LOL. 10 months old would rule out the battery but if you have 2 sticks of RAM pull the #1 slot and put the 2nd stick in the number 1 slot and try it. If that works then you know it's that stick. Do you have 2 sticks or 1?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two sticks, I shall have a fiddle... cheers for your help.

If it is my Mobo that would mean a new car and a new PC within a week of christmas ha!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
DijonWolfie said:
If it is my Mobo that would mean a new car and a new PC within a week of christmas ha!
Well you can never have enough of either. :D

If the swap of RAM doesn't work then it is one of those catch 22's in that the board failing or bad is providing you the wrong beep code because the board is failing or bad. Now that get's confusing to type.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have tried every combination (1 stick in each slot, alternating which stick is in etc).

With no RAM inserted I get 1 long and 2 short beeps
and with just one stick I get the start-up beep and another single beep following the Bios Intro andthen the blinking cursor.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Sorry, but that 1 beep on top of what you already tried is almost surely the mobo. If it's not the ram sticks then the controller or timer is toast. If you have a stick that you know works and is compatible with that board you can try that in case both those are bad. Did this machine work before with the same pats?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only thing I changed was the PSU, which I upgraded to 850watts... It worked ok for a month after that... then kaput....

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
DijonWolfie said:
The only thing I changed was the PSU, which I upgraded to 850watts... It worked ok for a month after that... then kaput....
850 Watts, what, you're running the house off the PC. ;)

The only other things I can suggest are to pull and reseat every card and ram stick in the machine, look at all the connectors from the PSU to the motherboard and all connectors from the motherboard to the drives, cards, etc. to make sure they're seated correctly. make sure the motherboard isn't shorting to the case. Pull the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds to reset the BIOS and start her up. If that still gets you no boot then if it's under warranty go that route, if not then buy a new board.

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The system is lay out on anti static sheeting on my floor so no chance of sheeting, I have reset the Bios numerous times, and I have been through all the connections 100+ times... sounds like I'm resigned to buying a new Mobo.

Seems there are 100+ Mobos to choose from though, any recommendations? I am looking for something that will support my current Processor (3.0ghz HT Pentium 4) but will be good for future upgrading... probably dual CORE etc when I can afford it.

:probably looking at spending about £90-130

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
That's too bad but I can't recommend anything based on just the processor. You'll need to make a complete list of your current parts; processor, ram, drives (SATA / PATA), video (PCI-E / AGP / on-board) etc. Also you should probably start a new thread with a title like "recommended motherboard needed for these parts." and ask for recommendations. Another problem may be that you're thinking of upgrading to dual core soon. The replacement board for the P4 won't be upgradable to a dual core processor. You'll also want to post the US dollar amount too for dummies like me who have no idea what that 90-130 amounts to here. LOL. Your best bet may be to go for a new machine now. It depends on that one. I don't think you ever answered what it is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a modded version of a cheap Fujitsu Siemens Scalio P Media Centre... I have just ordered a new 2.4ghz Pentium Duo & Mobo deal from Ebuyer.com for £250 (about $500) which I can upgrade to 2GB Ram by adding a couple more sticks and will sit in nicely with my current stock until I get paid again (christmas really does hit ones pay packet!)

Looks like I am just building a new one, and I will get a new Mobo for my old machine with some cheap RAM, stick Debian on it and use it to stream Media to my other computers and probably a few LAN parties (3ghz processor, 1GB Ram should make for a pretty decent 1Upper).

Thanks muchly for your advice :)

Oh and just for your information I have stuck what will be my Comp Specs for you to have a "shifty" (look) at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.