Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with a new BFG GEFORCE 7800GS AGP 256MB card in my Dell Dimension 4600. When I start up the computer the monitor is blank and the power button flashes as though it is still in the power save mode. My system meets all the card requirements, unless there is something I'm missing? I upgraded the power supply at the same time to exceed the total power and +12V suggested by BFG. I've checked the following:

Both card and power supply work perfectly together in another computer.
Card is seated properly in the Dell (card fan doesn't turn if not seated).
Original card (FX5200 AGP) works fine when put back in the Dell.
Old drivers have been removed.
BIOS is the most current from Dell website.
No system beeps or any other problems that I can find.

I've read about other people using this same card in a 4600 with no problems; what am I missing? Any suggestions are welcome.

Dell Dimension 4600, 2.6 GHz, 1 GB ram, Windows XP

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If you have a on-board graphics you may need to disable it in the bios. something else you may need to check is "primary graphics" change that to AGP.
Look for those two in the bios.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
schusterjo said:
If you have a on-board graphics you may need to disable it in the bios. something else you may need to check is "primary graphics" change that to AGP.
Look for those two in the bios.
Thanks for the suggestion. The on-board graphics in the BIOS has an "auto" and "AGP" option - i've tried it with both selected with no luck. The original card seems to work with either one selected. I don't see anything like a "primary graphics" option in the BIOS.

I also tried putting a Radeon 9250 256MB AGP card in and get the same blank screen problem. It seems like the Dell only will work right now with the factory installed card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.